Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Can I hear a "hang in there"?

Default Re: Can I hear a "hang in there"?

Do you offer alternatives when you say the nur nurs are tired? With K I always say, we can cuddle/snuggle/whatever instead. Just an idea.

Mama to my little Diva: Miss K (7/15/06)
    And her little sister: Lulu Pie (3/21/09)

"Don't toush da mango"
    One-handed typer Extraordinaire!
    My body creates, houses, nurtures and nourishes life. That is awesome.
    Kegel Kop says: TIGHTEN UP!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*nodaker View Post
    And god help you if you comment that your child slept through the night at 6 weeks and self-weaned at a year because I will hunt you down and hurt you. (That's the sleep deprivation talking.)
    I just wanted to say that I am in NO WAY saying this. I have a 10 week old and I'm exhausted, have overactive let down, I think we're ramping up to another cluster-feeding-madness.... So no - no sleep at nights here.
    Mommy to our DD1 early bird (34 weeks, 2 days, 7lbs, 14oz)! Oct. 2nd, 2008 Emergency C-Section, Frank Breech, HEALTHY Girl!
    Weaned @ 17 months
    Our DD2 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 12oz) Aug. 10th, 2010 Our Successful VBAC, growing like a bad weed!
    Weaned @ 15 months
    Our DD3 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 6oz) Feb. 16th, 2012 Our 2nd VBAC and lightening speedy birth!

Loving being a Mom of 3, 40 months apart!!
    and

Yep, I ALWAYS offer alternatives for when the nur nurs are tired. "We can cuddle, rock, hold hands, read etc. etc." Basically if it is a tactic that has been publicized ANYWHERE, I have tried it. (But I still want YOUR suggestions; because it might be new and it might WORK, so don't be afraid to put in your 2 cents.)

I also forgot to say that on our "usual" days, she does to bed in her own bed (after nursing to sleep) around 8 and stays in her bed until around 2 or 3. Then she comes in our room, nurses, and usually sleeps until morning, when she will nurse again. It's just been the last few nights that she seems to be glued to my arm pit and nursing NON STOP. And, she has come to our bed between 11 and 12. Oy

I really believe I am doing the right thing by her, and she will wean eventually, but ... is anyone writing "Mothering your Nursing Preschooler" or "Mothering your Nursing Middle School Child" or "Mothering your College Freshman" because, DEAR GOD I think I will need to read those books.

I think it is awesome that you have such a great a sense of humor about it
    Carol
    Proud mom to,
    Cassi 5/17/85
    Carlie 3/16/96

The Twinzillas
    Camryn 8/17/06
    Carson 8/17/06
    & their Shadow
    Caitlyn 4/22/07

IMHO, I think she knows that you will always give in and therefore is only doing what works with you. It sounds like there are several things at play. If she just ramped up on the nursing, there's something developmentally going on that she needs the extra comfort for (I don't have a 3yo so I can't say what), and that you need the extra space. Perhaps sticking to your guns when offering the alternative and dealing with the unpleasant response from her may send the message that mommy needs to regroup as well. You can reassure her that the 'nur nurs' aren't going away for good (though they will eventually) but that they need to recharge and that you still love her and want to comfort her. Just shooting in the dark here at an attempt to help.

If you do nothing, I can certainly guarantee you that things will change on their own so you don't HAVE to do anything unless you want to.

Mama to my little Diva: Miss K (7/15/06)
    And her little sister: Lulu Pie (3/21/09)

"Don't toush da mango"
    One-handed typer Extraordinaire!
    My body creates, houses, nurtures and nourishes life. That is awesome.
    Kegel Kop says: TIGHTEN UP!

Thanks for the good laugh! I can't wait for LLLI to publish the books you named. They sound like great titles.

You get a "hang in there" from me, too. It sounds like you're really working hard to meet your little one's needs. Sometimes it does seem as if certain stages go on forever, but they do not. I realize that's hard to fathom when you hear about the toddler who lost interest in breastfeeding or the one who is sleeping through the night while your child still needs you day and night.

My best as you continue along this path!
    Sue
    LLL Leader

breastaurant
    haha... Thank you for the much-needed laugh.

Hang in there!
    DS 11/16/07 :: Infant reflux and milk protein intolerance, egg and peanut allergies

Hi Nodaker,

it sounds like you're absolutely exhausted from disrupted nights. You've said your darling doesn't normally nurse as much, so maybe it is just a brief phase for whatever reason only your daughter knows .

Three year olds have amazing communication skills (and understanding) What does she say when you tell her your nur nurs are tired and need a rest?

I was in the same boat a couple of years ago, I was SO tired from very frequent night nursing, I once fell asleep at a bus stop (hands still on the buggy)! I felt resentful and didn't enjoy nursing anymore, so I decided to give night weaning a try. We had a chat about it the morning before to give them plenty of time to get used to the idea. I then set myself an acceptable rest time (I choose 10pm-7am) and when they woke up reminded them that it wasn't 7am yet and that they could cuddle instead. One of them accepted it fairly quickly, but my lovely spirited little man obviously wasn't ready and got VERY upset, so I decided to try him again a bit later and after another month (with a bit of daddy help) he DID accept it. Children change so quickly at this age.
    Stopping the night feeds meant I no longer felt 'touched out' and I began to enjoy nursing again and it enabled me to carry on nursing for a long time!

this too shall pass, as my best friend always says
    all my best wishes
    Tanja