Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: first time breastfeeder @ 12 mo?

Question first time breastfeeder @ 12 mo?

Hi! So I've never breastfed though I've always thought I would and am sadly missing out due to my three-month-old's large cleft palate (and when I say cleft, I really mean she is missing the roof of her mouth). We also missed out on a lot of bonding time since she was in the hospital her first 2 months of life because of heart issues / multiple surgeries etc. (She has Velocardiofacial Syndrome). I am a new mom too!

Anyway, my question is probably a totally weird one and I'm not expecting much, but what does everyone think about a baby trying to breastfeed for the first time at a year of age? She will not have her cleft repaired until at least a year or so and cannot suck at all until then. She gets very frustrated if I put her to the nipple at all because she is used to her Nuk pacifier. She also has never been orally fed period -- so that is a doozy I know!

We hope to begin feeding her orally soon within the next month or so, just a few feeds to introduce her to using her mouth etc. with a haberman bottle (however you spell that special cleft feeder bottle).

Anyway -- could you introduce the breast to a 1 year old with any sucess or do you think she might just bite me? Or at this point not worry about breast feeding since she will be dependent on solids?

I plan to express milk for her for as many years as I can since she has a bad immune system also!!

Any encouragement you can offer will cheer me up even if you think I'm nuts. God bless!

Default Re: first time breastfeeder @ 12 mo?

I don't know anything about bringing a baby to breast at a year, but I just wanted to say you are doing a great thing! I have been pumping exclusively for my son for almost 15 months now. It can be done.
    Beth

Exclusively pumped for Lance Oct 07
    Nursed until just before he turned 3 Levi Oct 09

Do you have extra milk? Consider donating!
    http://www.hmbana.org/:

"So I was welcomed by the consolations of human milk; but it was not my mother or my nurses who made any decision to fill their breasts, but you who through them gave me infant food, in accordance with your ordinance and the riches which are distributed deep in the natural order." -St Augustine

I think it is awesome that you want to give this a try! I've been doing a lot of web searching and reading up on introducing breastfeeding awhile after birth because I am going to try nursing my adopted daughter - who will be exclusively bottle fed formula until she comes home around 6 months of age.

I have read a lot of stories of women that successfully got their adopted children to latch as late as one year and some even later than that. I would think that you would have an even greater chance of success with your own biological child who has received your own breast milk. You might google adoptive breastfeeding - on those sites you should find some info on getting older children to latch and ideas on how to encourage that.

Good for you for taking on this challenge and trying to make it work! I wish you all the best!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*jeniwilmot View Post
    Hi! So I've never breastfed though I've always thought I would and am sadly missing out due to my three-month-old's large cleft palate (and when I say cleft, I really mean she is missing the roof of her mouth). We also missed out on a lot of bonding time since she was in the hospital her first 2 months of life because of heart issues / multiple surgeries etc. (She has Velocardiofacial Syndrome). I am a new mom too!

Anyway, my question is probably a totally weird one and I'm not expecting much, but what does everyone think about a baby trying to breastfeed for the first time at a year of age? She will not have her cleft repaired until at least a year or so and cannot suck at all until then. She gets very frustrated if I put her to the nipple at all because she is used to her Nuk pacifier. She also has never been orally fed period -- so that is a doozy I know!

We hope to begin feeding her orally soon within the next month or so, just a few feeds to introduce her to using her mouth etc. with a haberman bottle (however you spell that special cleft feeder bottle).

Anyway -- could you introduce the breast to a 1 year old with any sucess or do you think she might just bite me? Or at this point not worry about breast feeding since she will be dependent on solids?

I plan to express milk for her for as many years as I can since she has a bad immune system also!!

Any encouragement you can offer will cheer me up even if you think I'm nuts. God bless!
    Sorry, I can't tell you you're nuts. I think you're a loving, creative mother.

The most recent issue of LLLI's bimonthly magazine, "New Beginnings", has a good article about adoptive breastfeeding. I think you'd find it very interesting and encouraging because of the age of the baby. You can borrow "New Beginnings" from your local LLL group or Leader, or maybe you have a friend who is a member?

A few thoughts...have you considered doing lots of skin to skin time, especially with your breasts uncovered? When your baby is able to be fed orally, you can feed her like that, too, holding her the way a baby is held when breastfeeding.

What if you tried putting a few drops of milk on your breast and encouraging your baby to lick it off? (Thus associating the breast with the taste of food!)

As you think about nursing, I encourage you to give a lot of thought to what your goal is. Do you want your daughter to take milk from your breast? Do you want her to suckle your breast while feeding through a supplemental system? Do you want her to nurse for comfort, rather than for nutrition? Do you want her to be happy snuggling at your breast, whether she latches on and sucks or not? I think if you are able to determine your goal, it will be easier for you to choose what things to try, and it will be easier to avoid disappointment. Does that make sense?

I hope you will hang around and keep us posted on your daughter's progress.
    Marianne
    LLL Leader

I admit that when I read your post title I thought you might be a little nuts, but when I read your post I knew you were anything but...

I can't offer any help I just wanted to send to you whole family - you have had quite the time and for being an amazing mom and doing everything you can for your baby.
    proud but exhausted working mammy to two high needs babies

• my surprise baby: the one and only D-Man born 3 weeks late (5/5/08) at 9 lbs 14 oz and 21.5 inches, and
    • the shock H-Girl born about a week late (10/7/09) at 8lbs 15oz and 20.75 inches.

If I am here I am covered in baby (probably two) and fighting for control of the keyboard.

Family beds are awesome

Wondering if you have PPD? Take the screening and see your doctor. You deserve to feel better.

Smile Re: first time breastfeeder @ 12 mo?

Thanks for all of your very kind words and support! I seriously needed to hear them!

I will definitely google adoptive breastfeeding and will find that issue of "New Beginnings" for sure, and set some goals too! I'll keep you posted too.

Thanks and God bless,

jen