Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Pumping because baby won't BF

Default Pumping because baby won't BF

Im a new mom to a 4 week old little girl. She has never been able to breastfeed from me. When we started she couldn't latch on so we tried using a nipple shield to help. She will suck on it when she gets some milk then pull away. She takes my milk from a bottle just fine though. I have gotten so frustrated with trying with her that i no longer really try I just pump and feed it in the bottle.

Since I've been doing this I have almost 150 bags of milk frozen already which doesn't count what i pump directly into bottles and feed her. I have read that typically the breast will adjust it's milk production based on the baby eating. Seeing as she's not feeding directly off me, how do I slow down my production. I am pumping on average 5-8oz on the right side and 3-5 on the left. Do I need to not pump as often (which if I do this I get so full it hurts) not allow as much to be pumped? I don't know what else to do to try to get her to breastfeed solely and so I need some advice on the pumping part.

Thanks

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sarah-New Mom

Default Re: Pumping because baby won't BF

Wow! You've got quite the stash going Good for you. Try and rotate it out at least once a week so in the end you're milk won't expire.

Hmm...It's hard to say at 4 weeks what will happen to your production if you ease off the pump some. But, you're obviously pumping a lot more than lo needs. How many onces is lo taking from a bottle at each feeding? I would assess how many ounces are needed daily and how much "extra" you'd like to have on hand. It's always hard to tell with the growth spurts they'll go through, so have extra.

Do you pump your breasts empty? The more milk you pump, the more you're telling your body to make. If you want to slow down production you need to NOT empty your breasts. Pump enough to ease the engorgement but don't empty. You'll find that your body will slow down production rather quickly. But be careful because it's A LOT harder to increase your supply.

I didn't exclusively pump but I pumped while at work so I hope some others join in

Remember, you're doing great and it's okay to have extra milk...don't want lo to go hungry, and you can always donate it if you're worried about wasting it
    I'm Jill
    Mother to
    Bear 12/13/98
    Bagalli 8/5/07
    little (3/21/09).
    Kafessa: 5/17/10
    expecting 10/1/11

Oh, I meant to ask if you're interested in getting her back to the breast? There are many mothers here who have gone through hard peiords of time and been successful at bringing baby to the breast. We can give you advise on that if you're wanting to do the work
    I'm Jill
    Mother to
    Bear 12/13/98
    Bagalli 8/5/07
    little (3/21/09).
    Kafessa: 5/17/10
    expecting 10/1/11

If you continue to have lots and lots of extra milk you might consider working with a milk bank to donate to be used with NICU babies. I found one by googling milk bank. HMBANA is the association bank I think.

along the lines of what jtandaj said, if you're interested it is still possible to get baby back to the breast & cut out the middle man. If not, just remember that milk production is supply & demand. However much milk you remove from the breast will tell the brain that that much needs to be replaced. Pump/nurse less= less milk.
    Renee
    LLL Leader