Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: GRAH! Overeager latcher...

Default GRAH! Overeager latcher...

I've got an interesting problem. My 2 1/2 month old has absolutely phenomenal head control and neck strength... the problem is, she's decided to use this while I'm trying to latch her, which results in a major struggle to get her latched properly. She lunges for the breast, whacking her nose on my breastbone (no mean feat, I'm a 40F!) or latching on the wrong place. She'll stick her hands in there, and then we both get frustrated, and she starts screaming her little head off!

I've been trying to catch her before she gets frantically hungry, but if I try to feed her too soon, she just wails like a banshee until I set her back down. It's a delicate balancing act, and one that's wearing mommy out!

Any suggestions?

Default Re: GRAH! Overeager latcher...

no suggestions, just sympathy...my 6 week old is the same!

Default Re: GRAH! Overeager latcher...

I can think of two things, not sure how feasible they are:

1. Find a different position, maybe a different chair, a nursing cushion, or lie in bed. It is even possible (though no long term solution ) to have her lie on her back and "hang" over her,

2. Get somebody to help you latch her on. I know, I know, easier said than done, but even ifyou can get help sometimes, it could point her in the right direction.

Oh, also, if she closes her jaws too early, you can push her chin down with one finger till the time is right.

Good luck!