Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: OALD, Nursing strike, don't know what to do

Default Re: OALD, Nursing strike, don't know what to do

Thanks for the support jrsmommy I hope we both win that tough battle with our stubborn los
    I had lli leader today and the good news is she thinks my baby is doing fine despite her lack of interest in my breasts.
    The bad thing is that I haven't expressed my breastmilk and since our nursing sessions with lo are very hectic I risk my breastmilk running low
    The reason not to pump so far is that my baby refuses the bottle, she brings up milk if I feed her with a spoon or a cup so I cannot use expressed breastmilk for supplement, nor any other supplement for that reason. And I am scared that if I only breastfeed her in her sleep and express meanwhile to keep my milk production going she would suffer malnutrition. Besides, she sucks very inefficiently while sleeping and I struggle to keep her interested without actually waking her up.

I am gonna use a sling to see how it goes. The LC also suggested co-sleeping although dh would probably disagree and taking a bath with lo. I'll keep you updated if any of these work

Forgot to ask The LC said that dd sucking on her hands (which she does all the time she's awake) and trying to suck just about everything in her reach apart from my niples is not a sign of hunger. So now I am confused since before she would do that if she were hungry. How do I know she's hungry anymore. Do signs of hunger change when babies get 3 months old and beyond

I don't really have any advice - just my best wishes and all the cyber-support I can offer. I will say that the common-sense advice of experienced mums, IMHO, more often than not trumps book-sense of 'experienced' MDs - and the advice here is fantastic. You're doing a great job doing what's best for your l/o.
    Babies are Just Awesome

now cloth diapering that
    Mom to Liv, Soph & now Baby Nate Nate

Are you typing with one hand, too?

birth: 7lbs 14oz / discharge: 7lbs 1oz / day 7 8lbs 1 oz / day 14 8lbs 15oz / day 28 10lbs 7oz / 9 weeks 13lbs 12oz/ 17 weeks 16lbs 2oz
    / 6 months 19lbs 7oz

I'm glad you were able to meet with the llli leader. I'm sure this calmed you down to realize your LO is getting the nutrition she needs. I wish I could help you more. My LO is still using bottle during day and nursing at night. My LO does sleep with us in bed. I keep LO in a tshirt so we have skin to skin contact while we sleep. This probably helped LO to nurse.

Are you going to pump to keep your supply up? What are you doing to feed baby if she wont take bottles?
    wife to detective , mom to 19 yr old lady

and starting all over with jr. and so

our blessing came, 02 Sept. 08 , 7 lbs. 12 ozs.

, enjoy ,

It's 32 days of constant breast refusal and lot's of crying on both sides
    I tried lot's of skin to skin contact, I have my dd's crib attached to our bed and I spend all my time with her but she still refuses to breastfeed when she's awake.
    Actually I saw what I thought is improvement a couple of days ago: dd is very nervous and constantly showing signs of hunger between breastfeeding sessions, and as nerve-breaking that is, at least she is interested in my breast milk. Also she latches on but pulls off the nipple as soon as I experience let down and spray all over her and would refuse to latch on any more seeming very upset. At that point, I would rocket her in my arms for good 30 minutes until she finally falls asleep, fussying and crying in my arms meanwhile. Before she didn't even bother to latch on.
    She does have 6+ wet diapers per day and 2 or 3 mucusy and watery BM so I am guessing that miraculously I succeed in meeting her breastmilk needs. But it really bothers me how disstressed she looks when I'm holding her or how she get's upset if she wakes up at my breast
    She is turning 4 months old in 5 days and our breastfeeding realtionship may not survive much longer.
    Is she self weaning at such an early stage. Is there any point at continuing to torture her any more

I want to breastfeed her so much but that seems very upsetting experience to her and I feel so sad that she does not feel comfy and satisfied in my hands

Mama, I'm sorry you're still battling this. Just keep in mind that if your DD will take a bottle, it's infinitely better for her if that bottle is filled with breastmilk instead of formula. OALD is really hard. She may turn around yet. Has she taken a bottle? How has the sling been working? Have you tried expressing the first big rush of milk before latching her (when she does latch)?

Baby is not ready to wean yet. She will need to get the majority of her nutrition from either BM or formula for the rest of her first year. *I* would work on the bottle with EBM and a super slow nipple. At least then DD gets your milk and all of the good things that go with it.

Also, is she gassy? Is there any chance that she's reacting to an allergen in your milk? Have you tried an elimination?
    Jess

Mama to my little Roxie Roo, 06/11/08

April miles for TBTTW: 63

No my baby is still refusing a bottle or any other feeding device for that matter. She also refuses formula.
    She is extremely gassy, farting a lot and aloud Not to mention the comic sounds she makes when she's having a bowel movement. I did go diary free for a month at some point but there was no effect whatsoever. In fact, the first couple of weeks of her life, when she had normal baby poops, I was eating plenty of diary as I was told by my mum and mil that it boosted milk supply. If she was allergic to diary wouldn't it show right away

As to the sling, I got one but I couldn't get the hack of it And she seems to dislike being in it. May be I am doing it wrong

Just wondering is fast let down always a symptom of overabundant supply or you can have fast let down and low supply at the same time

Im so sorry mama I would be crying too.

What type of bottles are you using? I use the Playtex nurser bottles. These are the only bottles LO would use. I also use the slow flow nipple. This may help.

Is your LO gaining weight?
    wife to detective , mom to 19 yr old lady

and starting all over with jr. and so

our blessing came, 02 Sept. 08 , 7 lbs. 12 ozs.

, enjoy ,

I have recently been through a similar experience and I understand how stressful it is!

I spoke to a LC and she said baby had started to associate breast feeding with pain, probably due to OALD (I also sprayed everywhere at let down) and silent reflux. I’d already been trying things like side lying, holding baby up etc but with no avail. She suggested trying to break the pattern (which was eating all night and as soon at it hit around 6:30-7am refusing!) by changing what I did at the last feed during the night. So I gave him gripe water after the feed then brought him in bed with me and as soon as he woke for 7am nursing I popped him on the (very full) breast while in a side lying position with him propped above me (using a pillow wrapped around baby – hard to explain!). Well he NURSED! really well! and that gave an awesome start to the day and some how since then it was never as bad! It broke the pattern somehow!

Once this was in place though there were things I did to keep things going well:

1. Tried not to stress – easier said than done
    2. Nursed him as soon as he started to wake up
    3. Realised that 3-4 months babies get distracted, plus they nurse way more efficiently so a short nursing session doesn’t equal not getting enough, and they don’t need to nurse as often
    4. Realised that his crying was sometimes because of tiredness not hunger
    5. Used Gripe water regularly
    6. Put him to the breast less often
    7. Sang, verbally encouraged and rocked him during breastfeeding
    8. Breastfed in a quiet area
    9. Fed him from a syring/ spoon when I could feel my breast was too full for him – this turned out to be quite a fun game! And made me stress less, at least he was getting a bit!

Some of this stuff I’m sure you’ve tried but maybe there is something new in here to try? Good luck hope things improve soon. Talking to a LC might help – to rule out reflux, thrush etc.. and pinpoint exactly what is happening.

p.s when you feed baby from a spoon how much milk does she bring up? Does it make her unhappy?

Hi Butercup, I posted earlier on this thread. Just want to give you a and to keep giving you encouragement. I went through exactly the same thing with my DS -- it lasted for five months! But, eventually, the crying was less and less and eventually stopped. (Both his crying AND mine). I know it's heartbreaking, exhausting (both mentally & physically), but if you really want to keep it up, you can do it. I also had doubts of if he was getting enough, but he is so healthy & a great eater as a toddler with a heavenly demeanor. It's hard to believe that all the bfing trauma in the early months nursing could produce such a wonderful child. Since you're at four months, and you see a little bit of improvement here & there.. maybe you're on your way to the enjoyment of nursing. I nursed my DS for 16 months. NEVER thought that would be possible with him. I am rooting for you two!!!