Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: OALD, Nursing strike, don't know what to do

Default OALD, Nursing strike, don't know what to do

My dd just made 3 months of age and ever since her birth our nursing sessions have been very tough. At first I had cracked and bleeding nipples for a couple of weeks but continued breastfeeding. When my baby was 7 days old I thought that my supply was running low since she wanted to feed constantly, not every 2.5 -3 hours as her ex GP instructed me, and after each feeding session I would pump for good 30 minutes. Needless to say that it was probably a growth spurt. A couple of days later dd became very fussy and gassy, pulling on and off the breast. Also her BM turned watery and explosive. Following another doctor's advice I treated her for diarhea, which she didn't have. In three weeks her BM turned green and she was ever more gassy. I decided to ask for help in this forum and you mammas righty suggested that I had OALD. I cut dairy for a month and started block feeding, but her BM did not improve. Then I decided to increase the blocks to 4 hours per side and then to 6 hours per side. I did 3 weeks with 6 hours blocks but I noticed that dd would fussily nurse for a couple of minutes and then abruptly stop and start crying. And she would cry every time I try to put her back on the breast. The she would fall asleep and wake up in 15 minutes or so and then she would start nursing again. This happened mostly in the evenings. Things got worse as sometimes she would show me signs of hunger and when I attempt to nurse her she would start screaming. She even rejects me holding her. One evening her dad took her to calm her down and she instantly stopped crying but the minute he tried to place her in my lap she began crying. And the last 6 days she crys all the time rejecting to latch on my breasts, especially the left one, or if she does latches she would let go after 10 sucks or so. And she always seems hungry. I try to nurse her when she falls asleep, but the minute she wakes up and realises that she is at my breast she would start crying. I tried just about anything to make her nurse but no success yet.
    Please tell me that this situation will finish and at some point we will be able to experience a positive feeding session

Default Re: OALD, Nursing strike, don't know what to do

This sounds very similar to what I experienced with my son. I never reallly figured out what was causing this crying behavior (OALD, reflux, gassiness, allergies), but just to reassure you -- it did stop. I even went on a special two week diet thinking it was allergy related, but that didn't help. I don't remember the details clearly anymore b/c he's almost three years old now. It started at two weeks and lasted til about 5 months. I eventually nursed exclusively in the side-lying position b/c that's what was most comforting to both of us.

I know it is HUGELY stressful going through this. I had a couple of friends that were going through the same thing with their sons at the same time so it was nice to just vent and talk about it. One person I met while on this LLL site. If you need to talk, just write and I'll reply. I also had to just take one feeding at a time. I had to reassure myself that he would not starve himself and he'd eventually eat if he wanted to. Sometimes I'd just give my son to my husband so both baby and I would calm down... also, when baby was calm, I'd just spend some time cuddling with him and rocking him while carrying him around. sometimes I could latch him while doing this (standing), and then settle down into a chair if he was calm. Eventually, the crying got less and less and it stopped completely.

Good luck and hugs to you. It was extremely tiring and nerve-racking. I have a 3 week old newborn now and so far, we're doing good. =)

Have you tried swadling or nursing in a sling? Sometimes when babies are gassy the tightness will help to settle them down. Also, rocking or standing and bouncing or swaying may help to calm your lo at the beginning of a feed. Things will get easier, they always do! You're doing a good job!
    Renee
    LLL Leader

Sorry you're having such a hard time with this, butercup.

Nursing strikes usually last between 2-4 days. If you have to, you can feed baby your milk by cup for a couple days until she's willing to go back.

There's a few things you can do about fussiness at the breast, other than managing your OALD, which you seem to be doing a pretty good job of. Make sure you always feed her in a quiet dimly-lit room. Make sure your home environment in general is quiet and calm. Reclining and lying down positions will help slow the flow. Try offering her the breast while rocking or walking her. Spend more time skin-skin, take baths together. I highly recommend swaddling her and using other calming techniques, see the Happiest Baby on the Block. Make sure she's calm before you put her on the breast. Nurse her when she's sleepy. Some babies will refuse to nurse at the beginning of their mother's menstrual cycles.

You'll also want to rule out possible medical causes with your doctor, such as reflux, which is treatable. For some babies, they can benefit from seeing a chiropractor to rule out birth injuries that you can't see. Some babies are sensitive to lotions, deodarant, creams, fabric softeners, you can eliminate these and see if that helps.

I hope you find your answer soon.

Thanks for the support mamas
    Unfortunately, my baby's nursing strike continues and does not get any better It's twelfth day now and it does not seem to get better, she still refuses nursing and cries at my breast if she's awake. I can only nurse her if she's asleep. I spend my days just hugging her and swaddling her, I let her sleep in my hands and we also have lot's of skin contact, but it does not seem to help. Each time I succeed in feeding her she would sleep happily in my arms and the minute I decide to leave her at her crib or in the bed next to me she would wake up and start sucking on her fists. Then I try to nurse her but she would rather suck on my arm then on my nipple. Also she is les fussy while left lying on her own then in my arms. She even turns her head in the other direction if I lie next to her! We hardly ever have eye contact.

I went to the doctor today and there is no medical reason for her refusing to breastfeed. Also, she gained only 450 grams for the last month (she's 3 months now) and now I am worried that may be I have low milk supply BUT her diapers are always heavy with pee.
    And on top of that the doctor did suggest that I should feed her every 3 hours as feeding on demand upsets her tummy

I hope things will only get better

Hang in there Mama. My lo went through a phase like this too. I eventually found that I would have to walk around while gently bouncing to get her to latch. I nursed while standing/walking for the first couple of months! I wore her in the sling constantly, so that if she wanted to nurse, the boob was right there, and I could keep moving. I stopped having to do this around 2-3 months I think.

Just keep trying.

She's nursing when sleepy still, so that's good. Work with that for now and be patient.

Let us know how it goes.
    Jess

Mama to my little Roxie Roo, 06/11/08

April miles for TBTTW: 63

I hate to say don't follow doctor's orders, but you should nurse on demand. Not sure why he would say it will upset her tummy? Have you called a local LLL leader? That might be your best bet.
    Renee
    LLL Leader

Today I can hardly feed dd since she cries a river every time she sees my nipple and she sleeps a lot. I forgot to mention that for the last couple of weeks she is very sleepy and may be that makes her even fussier. Before she hardly ever slept 3 -4 hours in total for the whole day. I wonder if that has something to do with her refusing feeding. I hope that this will not affect her development and wellbeing, although as I mentioned before, the last month's weight gain (450 grams) is only half of the previous and a quarter of the weight gain for her first month of life.

Please tell me could it be that my baby is frustrated because of low milk supply even though she has more than 6 wet nappies and 2-3 BM a day.

Renee, last night I decided to offer my dd a breast every time she fusses in her sleep (she's gone to 8 - 9 hours gap between feedings during the night for a month already) and she did nurse well. Do you think it's a good idea to nurse her during the night even though she does not wake up
    I do it because I'm scared that my milk supply may be running low.

As to the doctor's comment that feeding on demand could upset her tummy and him suggesting that the nursing strike is due to my breastfeeding mistakes - not feeding her 6 times a day every three hours. Unfortunately, the majority of peds in my country support a 3-hour rigid feeding schedule as three-hour gaps, they argue, were what baby's digestive system needs to function optimally. It's so annoying to listent that crap every time I go to a ped and tell them that I feed on demand.

Yes! Nurse her as much as possible! Even at night. And when she is asleep is the perfect time to try to nurse her. Then she won't cry & may just nurse in her sleep. Have you been pumping/expressing to maintain supply? Sorry your ped isn't more supportive. I still maintain that calling a local LLL leader may help tremendously.
    Renee
    LLL Leader

Sorry about your LO nursing strike. I too have been battling the same issue. I think you should try to relax and let it run its course. I know easier said than done.

My LO is almost 4 months and he started his nursing strike at 3 months old. I was going crazy for a while and missing him feeding from me. But I had to learn to relax and let him feed from the bottle. At least he was having breastmilk right.

I pump throughout the day now and my LO nurses with me at night. I still try to nurse him before I give him the bottle and sometimes he will take it. In the beginning, I would offer the breast while standing and LO would take it that way. As soon as I would sit with him, he would pull apart so I would walk around house nursing him. Whatever worked I would do because I too miss the closeness of nursing and I would feel so rejected.

So relax mama and just know your giving him the best milk whether its bottle or you
    wife to detective , mom to 19 yr old lady

and starting all over with jr. and so

our blessing came, 02 Sept. 08 , 7 lbs. 12 ozs.

, enjoy ,