Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: possible to first time breastfeed @ 12 mo??

Question possible to first time breastfeed @ 12 mo??

Hi! So I've never breastfed though I've always thought I would and am sadly missing out due to my three-month-old's large cleft palate (and when I say cleft, I really mean she is missing the roof of her mouth). We also missed out on a lot of bonding time since she was in the hospital her first 2 months of life because of heart issues / multiple surgeries etc. I am a new mom too!

Anyway, my question is probably a totally weird one and I'm not expecting much, but what does everyone think about a baby trying to breastfeed for the first time at a year of age? She will not have her cleft repaired until at least a year or so and cannot suck at all until then. She gets very frustrated if I put her to the nipple at all because she is used to her Nuk pacifier. She also has never been orally fed period -- so that is a doozy I know!

We hope to begin feeding her orally soon within the next month or so, just a few feeds to introduce her to using her mouth etc. with a haberman bottle (however you spell that special cleft feeder bottle).

Anyway -- could you introduce the breast to a 1 year old with any success or do you think she might just bite me? Or at this point not worry about breast feeding since she will be dependent on solids?

I plan to express milk for her for as many years as I can since she has a bad immune system also!!

Any encouragement you can offer will cheer me up even if you think I'm nuts. God bless!

Default Re: possible to first time breastfeed @ 12 mo??

Hi Momma!!!! Those are awesome thoughts to have! How cool would that be to have your baby finally nurse from your breast after a whole year of pumping?

First of all, out of curiousity is she able to latch on at all now even though she is missing the roof of her mouth? My first thought is to put her to breast as much as possible NOW using warm baths, cuddles, co-sleeping, rocking, etc. Even if she doesn't latch on just to have her associate the breast with good warm thoughts. And if she does latch on, and even if she doesn't suckle correctly that's okay. You will still have that bonding time.

After a year you could possibly demonstrate to her how to open wide and latch on. You never know!!! Keep us posted on this, sounds like you have an amazing baby who is so lucky to have a momma like you.

Also, have you attended a LLL meeting? There are many women who go that are exclusive pumpers- you can get a lot of support through there.
    Lisa

Mommy to
    Logan 5-23-07
    Colby 12-14-09

Technically you already are breastfeeding!
    You may not actually have her at your breast but she is getting your milk and that is what's most important.

I wish you all the best!

I don't really have any experience or education to contribute but I was very moved reading your post. I poked around online a little bit and was able to find this booklet.

"Give Us a Little Time" - Cleft Lip/Palate booklet
    "Give us a little time" is a booklet by Christa Herzog-Isler on how babies with cleft lip or cleft palate can be breastfed. 31 pages.

Please keep us posted. I think it is great that you are pumping for your LO.
    Wife to Michael since 11/03/01

SAHM to DD#1 1/23/95 BF 3 days
    DS#1 9/6/03 BF 6 months
    DS#2 3/1/06 BFing with no end in sight and...
    DD#2 11/04/2008 going strong.

Never thought I would tandem nurse but here I am!

214***210********200****195****190****185****180****175****170* ***165

welcome to the fourm!
    to you and your baby.

Have you talked to your local leader?

How wonderful that you want to do this for your baby! In short, yes, it is possible to begin to breastfeed after a year old. Sometimes we hear of adoptive mothers doing so. I'll echo what others have said about contacting your local LLL Leader. See the sticky at the beginning of this forum for how to reach a Leader. Hopefully some extra support and information will help you reach your goal. Good for you! Feel free to post if you have any more specific questions about techniques.
    Sue
    LLL Leader

Good for you to do what you can to give your baby the best start! My cousin's youngest was born with a cleft lip and palate. His wife pumped for eight months before she was able to breast feed. The baby has had three operations to date, and they are anticipating one more. She was able to start learning to latch after the second surgery, but didn't have the energy needed to take a full feeding until after the third. She will be 1 in January, and is nursing for about half of her feedings, and mom is pumping for the others. She's a very happy, healthy little girl.

Good luck with your adventure! My prayers are with you and your little one.

Red face Re: possible to first time breastfeed @ 12 mo??

wow, thanks for all the great encouragement. I know this is a breastfeeding forum, but I still half-expected to hear, wow you're nuts or obsessed or something. haha.

I have not gotten in contact with my local leader but I now plan to. I do need to get in contact with some EPers because pumping is pretty depressing.
    And my baby does get very frustrated when trying to latch -- she tries but then starts to fuss and cry and basically demands her paci.

I will try all the warm fuzzy ideas too!

Thanks

jeni

Congrats on doing this! I think you're fabulous!!!!!

My advice would be to switch your baby from the NUK (most known for causing nipple confusion of all pacis!) and switch to Soothie (if you choose to use a paci). Soothies aren't as cute, but NUK can seriously mess up a nursing relationship! Especially if there are already latch issues! Basically, stay away from all orthodontic tips.

Good luck! You can do this, mama!