Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How do I know for sure that the clogged duct is unclogged?

Default How do I know for sure that the clogged duct is unclogged?

I got my first clogged duct yesterday and OMG it hurt like a mother trucker!

I did all the tricks I've read about here and it feels better, but I never did feel that pop and/or sense of relief or gush of milk. It does still feel tender, like a bruise, but I don't feel the lump anymore. Is it gone? How will I know for sure? I'm worried that the tenderness means it's still there, but I was massaging it aggressively until I read I shouldn't do that so I'm not sure if it's still clogged or I just hurt myself

Amy married to my bestfriend since 10/30/04

Proud SAHM to DS born 2/17/07 and DD born 9/11/08 Both weaned together 11/2011
    Currently milk, peach, peanut and tree nut free. DD has outgrown her wheat, cheese, egg, garlic, and citrus allergies

Default Re: How do I know for sure that the clogged duct is unclogged?

I get them all the time--and yes they hurt alot. I know mine has become unplugged because I can tell that my son starts gulping more and the hard lump disappears instantly. I can't say I necessarily feel anything 'pop'...just an intense wonderful feeling of relief once its unplugged. I'm not sure about lingering pain, as I have a very sore breast at the moment like you are describing, but I"m pretty sure its not a plugged duct, as it doesn't feel the same way (my breast is still very soft)...it just feels like my whole right side of my right breast is bruised to the touch.

Default Re: How do I know for sure that the clogged duct is unclogged?

I get plugged ducts once a week...misery. I had one yesterday and I am in the same situation where I think it is out because I don't really feel the lump anymore but I made my breast so sore from massaging that it hurts just as much still. If you don't feel a lump anymore it is probably out and it just hurts from the massaging. When I get sore like that it usually takes about 2 days to feel better. I usually end up with pretty nasty bruises where I was massaging.