Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Afraid of weaning

Unhappy Afraid of weaning

My son is 11 weeks old. We had been doing very well with the breastfeeding, and really enjoying it. Over the past week, he has not been nursing for very long. He will feed for about 3-5 and then stops by pushing out the nipple. He is not falling asleep, he justs stops.
    We both break out in sweats while trying to get him to latch on again.
    Please help. I am afraid he might be self weaning. He has never had any formula, and I am really not ready for him to stop breastfeeding. I really wanted to continue until he is at least one, if not longer.

Default Re: Afraid of weaning

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*kid2308 View Post
    My son is 11 weeks old. We had been doing very well with the breastfeeding, and really enjoying it. Over the past week, he has not been nursing for very long. He will feed for about 3-5 and then stops by pushing out the nipple. He is not falling asleep, he justs stops.
    We both break out in sweats while trying to get him to latch on again.
    Please help. I am afraid he might be self weaning. He has never had any formula, and I am really not ready for him to stop breastfeeding. I really wanted to continue until he is at least one, if not longer.
    Is your baby gaining weight well and having plenty of wet and soiled diapers? How many times a day is your lo nursing? If you give us some more details we may be able to give you some better advice.

Have you considered contacting your local LLL leader or a board certified lactations consultant?

I'm Laura, mamma of 2

5-27-06

8-30-08

We love and

We have been nursing for over 2 years now!

Your LO is not weaning. Most likely he has just gotten much more efficient at nursing, which is very common at that age. Mine nursed for 3 minutes per side after that age also. He's probably just full. HTH

Have you been giving any bottles or pacis? If so, it could be nipple confusion & in that case I would steer clear of bottles & pacis.
    Renee
    LLL Leader

I would do what PPs have suggested--contact LLL leaders or lact. consultant. But, here's another view: I know that when I was being nursed, I weaned myself at 10 months. I just got more interested in food, and my mom couldn't get me to keep nursing. Happened to one of my friends and her son, too. Not trying to scare you! And perhaps my mom and friend were wrong, maybe I/her son were just efficient eaters...
    ---Josie

Proud mommy of 2 boys and a baby girl!

DS Owen, DOB 10/28/6, 6 lb 4oz, adopted from Guatemala, home forever 8/1/6 (we met him at 4w old! Mommy lived w/him in Guatemala from 5/28/6 till he came home!)

DS Ian, DOB 8/6/8 via C-sec., 9 lb!
    BF for 22 mo.

DD born via vbac 11/25/11!

I don't think babies self-wean that young. I think it's more common around 2 years. I agree with the idea that he's getting more efficient. Is he still having lots of messy diapers?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*LLLRenee View Post
    Have you been giving any bottles or pacis? If so, it could be nipple confusion & in that case I would steer clear of bottles & pacis.
    I agree It's been a long time since my DD was that age but I know I was so stressed out due to the same thing. She would only nurse for 5' at a time. After awhile I realized how lucky I was she was such an efficient nurser. Now she's 22 mo, still nurses and I'm PG with my 2nd.

I would take note of the diaper output and then enjoy it