Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Is diet soda ok, or not?

Unhappy Is diet soda ok, or not?

I've read a lot of conflicting information. I'm sort of in tears right now, bc I've had one Diet Coke a day for the last 3 months or so (my DS is 4 months old). Usually it's a can so just 12oz...but still, I feel so guilty.

Any advice/input?
    ---Josie

Proud mommy of 2 boys and a baby girl!

DS Owen, DOB 10/28/6, 6 lb 4oz, adopted from Guatemala, home forever 8/1/6 (we met him at 4w old! Mommy lived w/him in Guatemala from 5/28/6 till he came home!)

DS Ian, DOB 8/6/8 via C-sec., 9 lb!
    BF for 22 mo.

DD born via vbac 11/25/11!

Default Re: Is diet soda ok, or not?

I drink Diet Coke as well, I'm sure it's not the greatest but I don't know any specific studies...
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

No reason at all to feel guilty! Especially if you've got a baby who couldn't care less about a little caffeine.
    I know some mom's give it up for pregnancy, but they aren't getting ALL of the things that go into our body when they are nursing. It's a much more filtered process than the umbilical cord.

Chugging red bulls with a newborn? Maybe not such a hot idea, but a coke a day with a 4 month old? I think your ok.

I think it's because of the aspartame. The reason aspartame is so dangerous is because it has been linked to lupus. I personally stopped drinking diet sodas (and other things sweetened with artificial sweeteners - especially aspartame) when the news bulletin aired on CNN years ago. However, I did find the following quote at kellymom

According to Hale (Medications and Mothers' Milk, 2004), Nutrasweet (aspartame) levels in mother's milk are too low to produce significant side effects in infants who do not have PKU (phenylketonuria). It IS contraindicated in babies with proven PKU. Hale lists aspartame in Lactation Risk Category L1 (safest), but L5 (contraindicated) if baby has PKU.
    quote taken from HERE

and here is some info about the dangers of aspartame http://www.sweetpoison.com/aspartame-sweeteners.html
    Last edited by @llli*sch.mommy; December 10th, 2008 at 03:42 PM.
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*sch.mommy View Post
    I think it's because of the aspartame. The reason aspartame is so dangerous is because it has been linked to lupus. I personally stopped drinking diet sodas (and other things sweetened with artificial sweeteners - especially aspartame) when the news bulletin aired on CNN years ago. However, I did find the following quote at kellymom

quote taken from HERE

and here is some info about the dangers of aspartame http://www.sweetpoison.com/aspartame-sweeteners.html

TY, everyone--I was referring mainly to the aspartame! (I should've made that more clear in the OP! sorry!)
    I'm off to check out those links. TY.
    ---Josie

Proud mommy of 2 boys and a baby girl!

DS Owen, DOB 10/28/6, 6 lb 4oz, adopted from Guatemala, home forever 8/1/6 (we met him at 4w old! Mommy lived w/him in Guatemala from 5/28/6 till he came home!)

DS Ian, DOB 8/6/8 via C-sec., 9 lb!
    BF for 22 mo.

DD born via vbac 11/25/11!