Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Sick with cold, refusing to nurse

Default Sick with cold, refusing to nurse

Hi there, my Daughter just turned 6 months old, and pretty much refuses to nurse since she has been sick. I think what the problem is is that her nose is SO runny, that she is having a hard time being able to breath. She will sometimes latch on, take a few sucks, and then get mad. During the day (yesterday and so far today) she will only eat twice, but it seems that she is making up for it during the night (nursing every 2 hours or so). During the day, she doesn't seem hungry even, its mostly me trying to get her to nurse, and she just isn't hungry. She isn't irritable, and doesn't seem dehydrated the least bit.

Is there anything I can do to possibly get her to nurse more during the day? I'm worried that after this my milk supply is going to drop down after her illness and then I will have the problem of her not getting enough during the day when she has recovered.

Default Re: Sick with cold, refusing to nurse

Have you tried to use a snot sucker (those bulbs that you shove --gently--up their little nostrils to suck the not out)? Works wonders for my DS!

Also: Even if she nurses a little less while she's ill, and your supply gets a little lower, when she gets back to normal, your body WILL respond by producing more! Such a short-term decrease in nursing is not going to dry you up! Promise! GL
    ---Josie

Proud mommy of 2 boys and a baby girl!

DS Owen, DOB 10/28/6, 6 lb 4oz, adopted from Guatemala, home forever 8/1/6 (we met him at 4w old! Mommy lived w/him in Guatemala from 5/28/6 till he came home!)

DS Ian, DOB 8/6/8 via C-sec., 9 lb!
    BF for 22 mo.

DD born via vbac 11/25/11!

Yes, I have booger basted her, and it does work a little bit, but she is seriously a little snot machine these past 2 days! I'll just let it go then and try not to worry!

Thanks!

Poor kid! I know my DS hates the snot sucker. But it's for his own good, even if he doesn't appreciate me.

When I was sick as a dog with the flu a few wks ago, my milk supply did go down, but I just nursed and nursed, and w/in a few days of getting over it, my supply was back up. DS never noticed!
    ---Josie

Proud mommy of 2 boys and a baby girl!

DS Owen, DOB 10/28/6, 6 lb 4oz, adopted from Guatemala, home forever 8/1/6 (we met him at 4w old! Mommy lived w/him in Guatemala from 5/28/6 till he came home!)

DS Ian, DOB 8/6/8 via C-sec., 9 lb!
    BF for 22 mo.

DD born via vbac 11/25/11!

What about a steamy shower? You could even nurse her in the shower if that helps clear her up a bit. Hope she gets well soon!!
    Renee
    LLL Leader