Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Diva nursing behaviour

Default Diva nursing behaviour

So, Lucy (3.5 months) will only nurse well if I am holding her in the asymmetric latch position while walking and rocking her. I've practically dislocated the thumb on my left hand from supporting her head and neck in this position. She will NOT nurse in the cradle position. She will sometimes allow me to nurse her laying down (thankfully she will always nurse laying down at night). If I attempt it she fights, cries, and rolls around.

Its just really hard for me and Daniel because I thought I could nurse her while reading books to him, etc. But she demands my full attention and movement. Daniel is picking up on it and asking me to put her down to pick him up.

I'm thinking she will grow out of it, but could use any advice or BTDTs.

Lyn
    Lyn
    Nursing the girl with kaleidoscope eyes

Mama to Daniel (12/3/06) and Lucy Jane (8/28/08)

Default Re: Diva nursing behaviour

Joey started doing that and I nipped it in the bud. She got to where she only wanted me laying down to nurse. While I'd love to do that all day long, its so not feasible with 4 kids 2 and under here. So when she cued me that she wanted to nurse, I'd sit down to nurse her. If she started her pushing away, screaming, pitching a fit...I'd put her back down on the floor to play, or I'd just hold her and not nurse. A few minutes later I'd offer to nurse again. It took about 4 days of her pitching a fit and getting put down...but now she's just fine. She will nurse in any position wherever we are at. Tough love, but had to do it. I just couldn't lay down and nurse her every 2 hours and leave Shiloh to his own devices. He would've burned the house down

Hugs mama and good luck with whatever you decide
    All over the world there exists in every society a small group of women who feel themselves strongly attracted to giving care to other women during pregnancy and childbirth. Failure to make use of this group of highly motivated people is regrettable and a sin against the principle of subsidiary. ~ Dr. Kloosterman, Chief of OB/GYN, Univ. of Amsterdam, Holland

**Leslie**

Mama to:
    Shiloh (5/6/06) Nursed for 13 months and Josephine (7/26/08) Nursed for 23.5 mos Currently nursing my new little firecracker, Finley Catherine, born on the 4th of July!!

not much advice for you although sometimes when KA wants to be held and james gets upset and wants up, too, i ask him if he wants to dance. i'm up walking around anyway and it seems to take his mind off the fact that i'm not holding him. plus, it's fun to dance around all silly like!
    Lisa
    Married to my Sugar Daddy
    Mom to Matt (5/14/97)
    James (11/8/06)
    Kelly Anne (3/14/08)
    Paul (3/11/10)

Sling mama!

Mama to my little Diva: Miss K (7/15/06)
    And her little sister: Lulu Pie (3/21/09)

"Don't toush da mango"
    One-handed typer Extraordinaire!
    My body creates, houses, nurtures and nourishes life. That is awesome.
    Kegel Kop says: TIGHTEN UP!

I know it's hard, my six month old would only nurse while in the sling with me standing & bouncing until about 4 months old. Just remember that young babies are used to the womb environment and some have what is called an immature stimulus barrier (see Dr. Sears book The Fussy Baby). This means that they have a hard time blocking out disturbing stimuli (light, sound, etc.) that you and I don't even notice. They just have less control over their senses and need a little help settling down. This goes away as baby matures. Just like the pp said, I think a sling would be highly beneficial!
    Renee
    LLL Leader

Thank you! I figured this will pass in a month or so. Leslie, I wish I was able to put her down but she is a small little one, like Daniel, and so I have this worry about her not eating enough, so I have to do whatever it takes to get her to eat, kwim?

Lisa, I figured Daniel is acting out cause we're all sick with colds right now. So hopefully it improves.

With the sling, I will give it a try, but I'm not sure. I cannot cradle hold her in my arms while walking and nursing. It HAS to be my hand behind her neck/head. I'm pretty sure I have a future diva on my hands.
    Lyn

When I nurse DD in the sling I find it easiest to do a football style "hold" in the sling. Maybe you can try that and trick her into thinking that she is being held with both arms and at least you'll have one hand free for Daniel. This was actually easier for me to pick up then cradle hold in the sling

Amy married to my bestfriend since 10/30/04

Proud SAHM to DS born 2/17/07 and DD born 9/11/08 Both weaned together 11/2011
    Currently milk, peach, peanut and tree nut free. DD has outgrown her wheat, cheese, egg, garlic, and citrus allergies

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*danlynclark View Post
    Thank you! I figured this will pass in a month or so. Leslie, I wish I was able to put her down but she is a small little one, like Daniel, and so I have this worry about her not eating enough, so I have to do whatever it takes to get her to eat, kwim?
    Oh honey, by no means did I imply starve the child, LOL. As you can tell from the pictures...mine NEVER goes without. We just delayed a little bit. She would gripe because she wanted to be laying down and I'd talk to her calmly and reassure her and try to get her to latch on. If she started griping, I'd put her on the floor to play and then pick her up 10 minutes later and try again. She got to the point where she decided that eating in the cradle hold was better than having a hungry tummy. But by no means did I ever not feed her.

I just wanted to make that clear to anyone else who reads this...feed the baby!!!

Lyn, good luck figuring something that will work out so you can give both of your children the time/attention they need!
    All over the world there exists in every society a small group of women who feel themselves strongly attracted to giving care to other women during pregnancy and childbirth. Failure to make use of this group of highly motivated people is regrettable and a sin against the principle of subsidiary. ~ Dr. Kloosterman, Chief of OB/GYN, Univ. of Amsterdam, Holland

**Leslie**

Mama to:
    Shiloh (5/6/06) Nursed for 13 months and Josephine (7/26/08) Nursed for 23.5 mos Currently nursing my new little firecracker, Finley Catherine, born on the 4th of July!!

Leslie I know what you meant. I was just looking at your chubby cherub and thinking there is no way that anyone can deny she is getting plenty. But when D was little I got all sorts of comments about his size, and L is just like him. So I stress about getting as much milk into her as possible. I think thats my issue instead of hers though.
    Lyn