Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Teeth causing pain - suggestions?

Default Teeth causing pain - suggestions?

My LO is 21 mo and still nurses 6-8 times day. I know this is a lot! But I've been waiting for him to cut down and it just hasn't happened yet. BUT! Over the last coouple of week one of his big pointy SHARP canines has been really hurting me and today I noticed what looks like a small hole in the aureola (sp?). It's very painfulll and I;m not sure what to do as he only uses one breast so I can't even favour the other one while this one heals. I just can't think of an answer to this one and don't know what to do - he keeps looking worried every time I saw Ouch! and he pulls off and stares at me. It's so sad! Plus I don't want this to be the way I end up finishing.
    Any suggestions on this one?
    Finn - born 24/02/2007 7lb 6oz

Default Re: Teeth causing pain - suggestions?

I am PG and a few weeks ago I developed blisters on my nipples which on top of my nipples being extra sensitive, it was causing a lot of pain. I do offer both breasts but she likes to switch from one to the other, she's 22 mo. What I did was to set limits. At that age you can explain to your DS that he can nurse later and offer a snack or try to distract him. Also, you could just let him nurse for a shorter period of time and then try to distract him or offer a snack.

I know how painful it can be but setting limits is part of a healthy BF relationship

Good luck!

I had the same problem and found this on kellymom. I changed up his position a little and it seemed to help.

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/older-bab....html#scraping

Hope that helps.
    Stephanie, mom to Jaime Hoban 11/04/07 and Annika Jayne 12/21/09

We . . . no room in the bed for more!

We love our cloth diapers!

Yep, my lo has a mouth full of teeth. Her canines (all 4) have broken through but haven't grown in all the way and boy are they sharp already. She's only 16 months so she's trying to understand when I tell her to be soft. If her teeth are hurting me I don't work through the pain. I unlatch her and let her re latch and tell her to be soft, I keep doing that until it's comfortable for me.

Like pp said, I'd try a different position. Make sure it's comfortable though and you're not feeling any friction on a new part of your breast. I know it's hard to get them to nurse differently, but if they want it they'll nurse in ANY position

Hope you get feeling better soon. It's not fun having a sore breast.
    I'm Jill
    Mother to
    Bear 12/13/98
    Bagalli 8/5/07
    little (3/21/09).
    Kafessa: 5/17/10
    expecting 10/1/11

Thanks for all your help
    Finn - born 24/02/2007 7lb 6oz