Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Am I even going to be able to keep this up?

Default Am I even going to be able to keep this up?

I have been having supply issues from the get go. I am a single mom with a full time job and 3 kids. I have the easiest time pumping every 3 hours at work, where there is no one else who needs something. At home is a whole different story. It seems like whenever I want to pump after her feedings, one of the other kids will have some catastrophe or be ready for dinner, or something comes up, and I'm not able to pump right away, and next thign I know it's an hour and a hlaf later! She's only nursing about 3 or 4 minutes on each side before there's nothing left. And she tends to go about 4 or 5 hours between feedings sometimes!!! I set an alarm for every 3 hours, but with 2 other kids and no one to help, there is inevitably something coming up that I wind up not even realizing the alarm went off, or else I just cant stop what I'm doing! Now on top of that I have a secind job cleaning that I can't give up b/c it has to pay for daycare suring the day. And these people want it sone as fast as possible so now I have to go about 4-5 hours between too! I am finding it impossible to pump when I'm not at work, b/c I just don't have anyone to help me take care fo the kids so I can. I can't even get 10 minutes to do this! Is there anyway to rebuild and keep up a supply like this? I don't know what to do, I am so frustrated!!! I don't want to stop nursing her, but tat this point she has forumla about half the time anyway, so am I stessing and worrying for no reason? Is it not even worth the effort if she's on that much formula anyway? I'm on Reglan and it seems to help, but my doctor is only letting me use it for about 2 weeks!
    I'm Shannon!
    Single, babywearing, barefoot in the grass mama to 3 wonderful babies!
    Abby 11-25-03
    Terry 9-29-06
    Kate 6-12-08
    and my Jack 11-17-02, gone to God at 11 weeks

"While we try to teach our children all about life, our children teach us what life is all about."

"I am going to be happy today, though the skies may be cloudy or gray. No matter what comes my way, I am going to be happy today."

Default Re: Am I even going to be able to keep this up?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mamamommy3 View Post
    I have been having supply issues from the get go. I am a single mom with a full time job and 3 kids. I have the easiest time pumping every 3 hours at work, where there is no one else who needs something. At home is a whole different story. It seems like whenever I want to pump after her feedings, one of the other kids will have some catastrophe or be ready for dinner, or something comes up, and I'm not able to pump right away, and next thign I know it's an hour and a hlaf later! She's only nursing about 3 or 4 minutes on each side before there's nothing left. And she tends to go about 4 or 5 hours between feedings sometimes!!! I set an alarm for every 3 hours, but with 2 other kids and no one to help, there is inevitably something coming up that I wind up not even realizing the alarm went off, or else I just cant stop what I'm doing! Now on top of that I have a secind job cleaning that I can't give up b/c it has to pay for daycare suring the day. And these people want it sone as fast as possible so now I have to go about 4-5 hours between too! I am finding it impossible to pump when I'm not at work, b/c I just don't have anyone to help me take care fo the kids so I can. I can't even get 10 minutes to do this! Is there anyway to rebuild and keep up a supply like this? I don't know what to do, I am so frustrated!!! I don't want to stop nursing her, but tat this point she has forumla about half the time anyway, so am I stessing and worrying for no reason? Is it not even worth the effort if she's on that much formula anyway? I'm on Reglan and it seems to help, but my doctor is only letting me use it for about 2 weeks!
    You are doing a *great* job! Solo parenting, working two paying jobs, and caring for three children (not to mention taking care of yourself!). Wow.

My first thought upon reading your post is to ask how you'd feel about nursing when you're with your baby, pumping when you can at work, and using formula when there's not enough pumped milk? The picture you've painted of when you're home shows it is nearly impossible (if not impossible) to meet everyone's needs PLUS find time to pump after nursings.

I hope I don't sound discouraging because that is not what I intend. What I am trying to do is look at your whole day, and not just at what your baby needs from you. Please know that there are plenty of mothers who partially breastfeed (or whatever you want to call it when your baby gets your milk along with formula).

I hope some other mothers will chime in with their experiences and suggestions.

Yes, it is worth it to maintain partial breastfeeding when your baby is also getting formula. The health benefits (the immunities are especially important when you need to be at work, and not at home with a sick child) are still there. The closeness is still there.

I believe you can find the right balance for you and your family. I'm sending you vibes of encouragement!
    Marianne
    LLL Leader

Have you talked with your employer about your pumping needs? Hang in there mama you are working very hard!

ETA: Does your doctor have a reason for restricting your Reglan prescription to only two weeks?
    “Only with trust, faith, and support can the woman allow the birth experience to enlighten and empower her.” - Annie Kennedy & Penny Simkin

coming up soon mamas who have BTDT and can help you out.

I am here to give you and kudos - you are doing an amazing job juggling more than any one person should have to.

I am also gonna address worst case scenario - you have to quit pumping when you are not at work. You are having supply issues (as most people with that much stress would), but you are still making some of what your baby eats and you are still providing LO with benefits of optimal food, immunities and bonding time with mom. Your body will get used to it and you will keep producing, you will be supplementing but some is so much better than none.

I have very low supply and the majority of DS food is formula. I quit pumping at work because if I did it three times a day I would have made 1.5 oz. The stress I was under trying to pump wasn't worth that. LO still pumps evenings, all through the night (no supplements except during growth spurts) and weekends.

So keep pumping at work (you probably need the breaks anyway) and nursing at home and remember the best you can do is always enough.

Watch the Reglan you have a lot of risk factors for depression and it it is easy to be too busy to notice the waning signs (it was getting me but I noticed - just one kid and one job in my life)
    proud but exhausted working mammy to two high needs babies

• my surprise baby: the one and only D-Man born 3 weeks late (5/5/08) at 9 lbs 14 oz and 21.5 inches, and
    • the shock H-Girl born about a week late (10/7/09) at 8lbs 15oz and 20.75 inches.

If I am here I am covered in baby (probably two) and fighting for control of the keyboard.

Family beds are awesome

Wondering if you have PPD? Take the screening and see your doctor. You deserve to feel better.

Where the Wind Comes Sweepin' Down the Plain

I just wanted to say that you're going a **fabulous** job, momma!!! Kuddos to you. There is a forum for single parenting that you may find as a good support, if you haven't already.
    **Margaret**(the artist formerly known as mommamags) Mom to red- and curly-headed, blue-eyed, chunky-thighed Michael Thomas, 24 May 2007, 9 lb/22 in. As an infant, he was my little suckling pig. Now he's a total ham!!!