Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: head bobbing

Default head bobbing

Hello,

i have a friend with an 8 week old fussy baby. the babe will on occasion do this head bobbing thing when she is trying to latch on....I remember my kids doing that and I'm thinking it was related to fussiness with dairy in my diet and it subsided, but I can't remember...I called it the popcicle because they would go on and off the nipple several times. I remember reading about the cause of this but don't remember....does anyone know?

Thanks!

Default Re: head bobbing

My 6 mo DD does that after she's done eating- I think b/c she's still trying to get more out. She goes on and off about 5 times, real quick. Could it be that baby is fussy b/c they're impatient?
    I'm Shannon!
    Single, babywearing, barefoot in the grass mama to 3 wonderful babies!
    Abby 11-25-03
    Terry 9-29-06
    Kate 6-12-08
    and my Jack 11-17-02, gone to God at 11 weeks

"While we try to teach our children all about life, our children teach us what life is all about."

"I am going to be happy today, though the skies may be cloudy or gray. No matter what comes my way, I am going to be happy today."

If she's doing it when she is TRYING to latch it may just be a rooting reflex, looking for the nipple. If it happens when she is actually sucking it may be an overactive letdown, the milk is coming out too fast for baby so she pulls off and gets fussy. If so there are several threads started for his issue. GL
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

My dd did that at that age. I thought I'd given birth to a headbanging baby! lol. she grew out of it once she realized that the nipple was not moving with her. lol
    Daughter of God, Wife to my wonderful Hubby, Mama to DD(8-28-08) Angel Baby (8-2-09) and due with DS (7-5-10)!
    We , , and all day long!

My LO does it and he's 11 wo. He did it when I used to have an overactive letdown. Now I think it's just the rooting reflex. I think it's kinda cute