Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How many times...

Default How many times...

...should my 4 month old be nursing to ensure my supply? Right now she nurses every 2.5 hours during the day and 1-3 times at night, about 7-9 sessios in 24 hours. It seems like she's starting to space out her sessions a little longer and I find myself offering the breast even when she's not giving me any hunger cues. If I wait until she's actually giving any cues and we drop to 6 in a 24 hour period, will that be enough to maintain my supply? Thanks!
    Megan
    Karina Abigail-born 8/2/2008

Made it a year!! Here's to a long and happy BF realtionship!

Default Re: How many times...

As long as you are nursing on-demand and wet and poopy diapers are normal then you are fine. I think it would be fine to wait until you are seeing hunger cues. 4MO is when a lot of babies start nursing less frequently and/or for less time at nursing sessions mainly because they become very interested in the world around them. 6 times in 24 hours for a four-month-old sounds okay to me Especially if she is going longer at night.

Jeanne (my middle name IRL)

Mommy to two girls (M & M), born Sept. '07 and Sept. '09

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*jeannie.bean View Post
    As long as you are nursing on-demand and wet and poopy diapers are normal then you are fine.

I also found myself offering a lot at that age, because it didn't seem like she was asking as frequently. Plus cues that had previously meant something - like sticking her fingers in her mouth - were then happening all the time! I think it won't hurt if you decide to wait for hunger cues, but offering to a distractible baby isn't going to hurt anything either.
    Karen

Proud mama to
    Kaitlyn Ann 12/23/07 - 7 lbs., 15 oz.
    11/09
    Jackson Thomas 1/16/11 - 9 lbs., 3 oz.

I have read that 7x in a 24-hr period should be minimum--BUT that was mainly for the first 3-4mo, so I imagine your sweetie is on the tail end of that. As long as there is wt gain and the # of dirty diapers, I'd say you're good!
    ---Josie

Proud mommy of 2 boys and a baby girl!

DS Owen, DOB 10/28/6, 6 lb 4oz, adopted from Guatemala, home forever 8/1/6 (we met him at 4w old! Mommy lived w/him in Guatemala from 5/28/6 till he came home!)

DS Ian, DOB 8/6/8 via C-sec., 9 lb!
    BF for 22 mo.

DD born via vbac 11/25/11!

Joey is 4.5 mos old and is doing the same thing. If I go off her cues, we're nursing 6-7x in a 24hr period. She doesn't seem to want to nurse more than that. If I offer when she isn't showing signs, she gripes and me and turns her head away. OR, she'll latch on for 2 seconds, laugh, and then pull off.

Rather than driving myself crazy...I just stopped offering as often and waited for her cues. She nurses less frequently but better, if that makes sense. It will all change in a few months anyways!
    All over the world there exists in every society a small group of women who feel themselves strongly attracted to giving care to other women during pregnancy and childbirth. Failure to make use of this group of highly motivated people is regrettable and a sin against the principle of subsidiary. ~ Dr. Kloosterman, Chief of OB/GYN, Univ. of Amsterdam, Holland

**Leslie**

Mama to:
    Shiloh (5/6/06) Nursed for 13 months and Josephine (7/26/08) Nursed for 23.5 mos Currently nursing my new little firecracker, Finley Catherine, born on the 4th of July!!

Thanks, Ladies!
    Megan
    Karina Abigail-born 8/2/2008

Made it a year!! Here's to a long and happy BF realtionship!