Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Sick Mommy

Unhappy Sick Mommy

Help- I think I've got a cold or the flu. Achy, 101 fever, etc. Can my milk make my ds sick? He had a cold last week but is better now. What can I take to safely feel better?

Red face Re: Sick Mommy

I'm a first time mom, so maybe someone else can verify if there is any truth to this, but I've heard when babies bf they tend to get less sick because of the antibodies they get from the milk. I am recovering from a bad cold & just wanted to say, be sure to drink lots of water. I had so supplement ebm b/c I didn't stay hydrated enough. Sudafed is what I was told to take, but I always ask my OB & Ped before I take anything to be on the safe side. Good Luck and get lots of help so you can rest.

Default Re: Sick Mommy

Now that I've been googling and reading, it might be mastitis. I had this once when ds was about 6 weeks old. Any tried and true mastitis remedies out there?

For mastitis, you need to nurse and nurse and nurse your child on the side that is affected. You need to drink as much water as you can handle. I mean gallons. Warm showers help. Try massaging your breast while in the shower to help clear the plugged duct. Get plenty of sleep and try to dissolve any stress you are going through. Warm compresses with a washcloth help too. Garlic is supposed to be good too. Though, I swallowed a clove whole when I had mastitis and it made me sick to my stomach.

Good luck

-Lauren

Just to reiterate: KEEP NURSING YOUR BABY. The milk is okay even if you're sick and you need to keep nursing to unclog your ducts.
    Go here for more info:
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/mom/mastitis.html
    I've had mastitis in the past and I feel for you! There is a chance you might need antibiotics but it seems like some moms get by without them(?). I hope you are feeling better soon!

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on