Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: trying to ^supply

Default trying to ^supply

Recently I have started pumping after feeding my daughter in preparation for going back to work. she is 5 months old.

i pump after feeding her (single side feeding). to increase supply I have been pumping the side I fed last and will still get an ounce after she is done...what does that say about my supply??

Default Re: trying to ^supply

Nothing.... I don't believe... Pumping is never a good indication on what's going on with your supply imo. The pump can't get milk out as good as babies can....
    Married mama with 4 kiddos...2 girls (11 & 6) and 2 boys (21mo & 3mo)

Do you mean your supply in general or your supply in terms of being able to pump when you go back to work? As babygurl said, pumping is not a great indicator of your overall supply - there are a lot of differences in people's ability to pump that have nothing to do with supply. That said:

Being able to get an ounce AFTER baby has fed is GOOD! You should be able to get a lot more than that when you're pumping as a replacement to feeding.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*manitobamommy View Post
    Do you mean your supply in general or your supply in terms of being able to pump when you go back to work? As babygurl said, pumping is not a great indicator of your overall supply - there are a lot of differences in people's ability to pump that have nothing to do with supply. That said:

Being able to get an ounce AFTER baby has fed is GOOD! You should be able to get a lot more than that when you're pumping as a replacement to feeding.
    What she said. Your baby is far more efficient than the pump. I would be happy if I could get an ounce after a feeding. I average 3 to 5 ounces when pumping to replace a feeding.

I'm Laura, mamma of 2

5-27-06

8-30-08

We love and

We have been nursing for over 2 years now!

i havent tried pumping as a replacement for a feed yet...I want to stockpile some milk first and try a bottle.

btw, what do you all freeze your EBM in?

I never froze mine, I didn't have a jump start on pumping...so that being said, you can do it w.o freezeing
    Married mama with 4 kiddos...2 girls (11 & 6) and 2 boys (21mo & 3mo)

I use Lanshinoh breatmilk storage bags. You can get 50 for about 10 bucks. DH says they are really easy to pour into bottles.

I'm Laura, mamma of 2

5-27-06

8-30-08

We love and

We have been nursing for over 2 years now!