Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Wakes up screaming

Default Wakes up screaming

DS is almost 5 months and has been doing really well. He nurses every 3-4 hours and sleeps really well during the day and at night too. Lately though, he has been waking up screaming and I can't stop him unless I feed him. This will happen at any point between feddings. He'll soon drift off to sleep again. I don't know why he's doing that. I'm worried he may pick up a bad habit and will expect the boob every time he cries. (babies only get smarter!)

What could be happening? Bad dreams..teething...or even hunger?? What should I do?

Default Re: Wakes up screaming

Well, it could be developmental, but I would say if nursing him cures it, go for it! He may just be such a sound sleeper that he doesn't wake until he's starving. You certainly aren't teaching him any bad habits, you are just teaching him that you will respond to his cries. If he were five years instead of five months that would be a different story. Chances are he'll outgrow it soon. Hang in there!
    Renee
    LLL Leader

Default Re: Wakes up screaming

Sorry to hear that.... but yes nurse him...it's ok. that comforts him... His he teething or anything going on that could cause him discomfort at night....
    Married mama with 4 kiddos...2 girls (11 & 6) and 2 boys (21mo & 3mo)