Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: No letdown while pumping- attached to baby!

Default No letdown while pumping- attached to baby!

Hi all-
    I can't get my milk to letdown while I am pumping! I have tried visualization, but my little one is on the floor playing while I am trying to pump and I don't relax- I know there is milk in there too.
    In sorta of the same vein- I'm trying to build in some self care/ exercise by using a bottle occasionally-I feel like I am out of balance in life- Henry screams if someone other than I tries to put him down for bed or a nap, and he isn't on a bottle because he was nursing funny after he took it and I stopped it. And, I rock him to sleep for every nap and wear him in a sling while he naps- immobile in the rocking chair because he wakes up easily.. What's my point you are asking?
    Well, I was wondering if you have any tricks to help the letdown while pumping. I'm taking the fenugreek and pumping everyday with no success. My second question is...do your babies accept care from other people- grandma, dad, etc? I think I may have monopolized the baby care, and now it is on me to always care for him when he is tired or upset unless he cries in the arms of someone else so I can take a break- like go out on a date with my husband who I have been neglecting. How do you achieve balance? I also have to return to work and he's not doing the bottle which freaks me out and who in the world will hold him for a nap like I do?
    I needed to vent..I feel burnt. He screams though, instead of crying and it breaks my heart. Generally I am OK being the the caregiver when he is fussy, tired, hungry but I wonder if this is healthy?
    Be Well,
    Suzie

Default Re: No letdown while pumping- attached to baby!

Pumping takes practice - lots of it sometimes. What kind of pump are you using? Manual or electric? I have found that I can't pump with DS in the room (unless I'm attempting the "pump one breast while nursing the other"). For some reason I can't relax; I think b/c he could need me at any moment and I'd have to stop. I have to go into a quiet room and get comfortable. Take a book/magazine/computer and try to not focus on the pumping. Thinking about the let-down is a sure way to keep it from coming.....(like a watched pot)

Second - I was the primary caregiver of Luke for the first 4 months. It's kind of hard not to be when your BF, right? If I am around I am the only one who can console him. Right now he is definitely a momma's boy! I was terrified that when I went back to work that he would be crying all day and not take a bottle from DH (he won't take one from me). But it turned out great. DH and DS are now creating a great bond while I'm away and he eats great for him. You might be surprised how well your LO does with another caregiver when your not there.

Jennifer
    Amazed and Proud mom of Luke (Lucas) - 4/5/2006; 9 lbs 12 oz , 22in
    Wife to best friend Carl - 11/4/2001

Thanks- my husband is away on a business trip and it's been me and my little guy- and the pumping thing just isn't working. I'll have my husband take him when he gets home. And they bottle- I'll hope it turns out like it did for your family- BTW your little guy is adorable.

some moms find that hand expression works beter then the pump you might want to try that out.
    Theres lots of info about pumping and working on the lll web site.
    My hubby and I have learned to have quick dates.
    Sometimes just fixing a nice dinner for him and sitting at the table and talking after supper is beter then going out! Dessert works wonders at my house a peice of cake or pie When we have a newborn I realy don't like leaving them and he is very understanding of this. I take my newborns everywere.
    untill they are about a year old. its just to stressfull on me. I don't enjoy myself!
    Dr sears has some good stuff in his books about adjusting to the new baby, both for mom and for dad.

Thank you, Suzie! We think he's pretty cute, too

I'm sure your LO will warm up to being cared for by other people. For now, just secretly enjoy that he prefers his mom!

Jennifer
    Amazed and Proud mom of Luke (Lucas) - 4/5/2006; 9 lbs 12 oz , 22in
    Wife to best friend Carl - 11/4/2001

Here is a site my husband found for me about pumping moms: http://www.pumpingmoms.org/

I know that pumping can be difficult for some women. I have had two friends who never let down to a pump.

I won't let down unless I massage and use a warm rice sock for at least 10 minutes.

Good luck!

This may sound crazy, but it is what I had to do for the first few weeks of pumping to get a letdown. I dressed a babydoll the pjs DD had worn the night before and would "cuddle" the doll with my eyes closed and just breath in the scent of DD. Just bringing her pjs didn't work, it had to be on the doll! Everyone at my office though I had lost my mind, but it worked and eventually my breasts got use to the pump and I no longer needed my babydoll. It was something about the scent combined with actually holding a baby that helped me get the letdown I needed. Good luck! Pumping does take LOTS of practice.
    Amanda Mom to James (2/25/04) and nursling Alice (8/24/05)

I'm glad that I'm not alone in this subject.
    I have the same problem - while pumping I can't get any milk out. I'm new to pumping, but so far all attempts were not succesfull. I eventually got few drops out.
    Thank you for all suggestions.
    maggie