Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 9 week old with new oversupply/OALD?

Default 9 week old with new oversupply/OALD?

Hi, I've been reading these boards for awhile, but this is my first post.
    Sorry it's pretty long, thought you should have all the facts to really know what's going on.

I am a FTM and have a 9 1/2 week old ds, who has been showing some of the signs of OALD/oversupply for the past 1 1/2 weeks about. I read the LLL FAQ on this and we have some of the symptoms, but not all...what do you all think...

Lately he has been pulling off crying, biting down, sometimes coughing/gagging while eating. Sometimes he comes on and off while eating. He spits up, but not excessively and has occasional green poop (his usual is yellow/seedy) and gas. He has his fussy moments, but is usually happy unless he needs something (or wants us to get up and walk with him!). He was 12 lb 8 oz at his 2 month check up 3 days ago (7-11 at birth, 10-6 at 1 month). He feeds a lot better at night (side-lying). He eats at least every 2 hours during the day, but sometimes every 1 - 1 1/2 hr.

Going through some of the other signs: I don't have a problem with sore nipples, and until this past week only had a problem with engorgement when my milk first came in. No infections, one plugged duct a while ago. I only saw milk spray out once when he came off and I only leak occasionally (worse this past week when engorged).

Prior to this last week and a half, maybe every so often we had some of these problems, but not consistently, so I was wondering if OALD/oversupply can start later, or come and go? Anyone else have this experience? Can this problem start after a night when the baby sleeps longer than usual? My ds usually woke every 2-3 hr to eat during the night, but now the first stretch is 4-5 hr and I wake up with one or both sides engorged. I have never limited time or tried to feed on both sides during a feeding, since I read about hindmilk before I gave birth. But I would switch with each feed or feed with the heavier breast. I've never pumped or fed with a bottle at all.

I've been trying to block feed for the past few days - it's helped the engorgement, but my ds still seems to have these problems (or I'm just noticing them more since I've been reading about this). I use the "V" hold and leaning back or side-lying, which seem to make feeding easier.

The worse part, I'm sure you all know, is feeling like breastfeeding is hurting my baby, when it's supposed to be the best thing I can do for him...it makes me sad I plan on emailing a local LLL leader, but wanted to post here too.

Thanks for reading! Any advice/sharing experiences would be great.
    Jenny

Default Re: 9 week old with new oversupply/OALD?

Hi Jenny,

How are things going for you now? I'm sorry your post was missed this last week. I don't know how that happened...I try to get to everyone (or see that someone else does), but I have been a little busy lately. I apologize. Any updates?

Hi Jenny,
    My DD shows similiar signs and is 9 weeks, too. I have also read all the posts concerning oversupply and OALD. I do not spray at all, but when I let down is when I notice that my DD gets a bit uncomfortable and the "clicking" noise occurs. I have tried taking her off as soon as I feel the let down and that seems to stop it from dominating her. My biggest question is that she has been spitting up lately - about 30 minutes after the feeding. What is this about?

You sound like you have done your research in regards to what is best to do for your LO - keep up the great job. In my opinion, both of our LO's will grow accustomed to the way our milk comes out and it will be fine. Please don't feel as if you are doing something "wrong" or "not good" for your son - BFing is best and your DS is not hurting or uncomfortable. Just look at his smile!

~Jenni

Jenni,
    Babies dealing with oversupply will often spit up. It's hard to say why she just started doing this, but there are some things you can try to make her more comfortable. (Maybe you already know this.)

After she finishes nursing keep her upright for an hour or so. Sitting in a car seat carrier brings her legs up and puts pressure on her stomach, causing her to spit up more. If you *have* to change her diaper, do it with her lying on her side.

Hang in there, you sound like you are pretty under control right now with this!

Thanks for the replys. Things are going pretty well. I did block feeding with blocks of 4 hours for a few days, now I'm doing blocks of 2 hours and don't think the oversupply is a problem anymore, but I can still feel the strong let-down. I usually just try to slow it down with the V-hold or use leaning back or side-lying if we're having more difficulty. Occasionally he still coughs, then
    I just take him off and pat his back until he's better and put him back on.

I emailed the LLL leader and went to a meeting, which was very helpful.

It's nice to hear from others going through similar stuff. Thanks for reminding me how BF is a good thing for my son...of course I know this, just when I was first reading up on this stuff I was feeling bad for him! I'm feeling much better now - and lately he has been smiling up at me when nursing - it's so cute!

Jenny

Hi Jenny,
    Glad to hear things are going better for you. That is great that you were able to get in touch with a local Leader and attend a meeting!