Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Urgent Please HELP

Exclamation Urgent Please HELP

My right breast is badly engorged. I tried a cold compress on it in the middle of the night. It made it feel better but it is still hard as a rock. I also tried massaging it like I did when my milk first came in but it hasn't worked. I have a 7 month old who stared solids a month ago. She is sick with a cold, mucus coming out of her eyes, runny/crusty nose, and now has bad coughing episodes. So this weekend she didn't eat much. Thursday night she nursed 6 times then Friday was the first night she slept all night. But I didn't notice my breast staying engorged on Saturday. Sunday night is when it hit at her last feeding around 9. I noticed it was still hard after she nursed. So I massaged it some and then pumped. NOTHING came out! I'm worried about my supply because of this and worried about getting mastitis or whatever you call it. My breast isn't red yet just hard on top and soft underneath. How do I get rid of this? It hurts sooo bad!!! I thought I was done with these issues from the beginning. Nursing was going good. What went soooo wrong???
    First time mom to Kaylee
    at work and all other times
    GOAL: 3 months... 6 months... 9 months ...12 months...

Default Re: Urgent Please HELP

I would try a hot shower with light massaging, maybe alittle hand expression, but not focused on just getting milk out, just enuff to soften the breast. You said your LO has recently started solids and a cold, I dont think anything went wrong, you might want to just nurse alittle more untill your LO is feeling better and then get back to solids. When you start solids again your gonna have to change your feeding schedule and your breast are gonna have a little time to get use to it. Maybe hand express alittle more or pump a few times to get the "edge" off
    "The biggest mistake a man can make, is to have the fear of making one" Unknown

Being "just" a mom is the most powerful thing I could ever do, and it makes me the happiest person I could be.

Josh 9/02
    Ben 7/04
    Lily Shes Walking 10/07

232*230****225****220****215****210****205****200* ***195****190********180

hot and then cold can sometimes help, too. Like hot compress or shower, and then walk around with an ice pack. I also went to a health store and got herbs that make a compress to put on that area of your breast.

another thing to do is to nurse in different positions. Try to get your lo to feed with her jaw pointing toward the hardest area of your breast. This may be almost impossible, but give it a try.

You can lie her on the floor on her back and nurse on all fours over her. It's a little weird, but it works to open up all your ducts and get the milk flowing again.

Hope that helps!

I'm Erica

Mommy to "C" - currently 3 and half years old
    - nursed for one year

and mommy to "M" - currently 2 years old
    - nursed for 23 months

Wife to my handsome DH for 5 and a half years!

Thank You so much. I am going to get in the shower now and no solids today while I'm at home. I tried doing football hold a minute ago but I guess it sounds like I need to do it the other way. Will try at next feeding.
    First time mom to Kaylee

hot and then cold can sometimes help, too. Like hot compress or shower, and then walk around with an ice pack. I also went to a health store and got herbs that make a compress to put on that area of your breast. Do you have a local lc or midwife (or OB) that you can talk to?

another thing to do is to nurse in different positions. Try to get your lo to feed with her jaw pointing toward the hardest area of your breast. This may be almost impossible, but give it a try.

You can lay her on the floor on her back and nurse on all fours over her. It's a little weird, but it works to open up all your ducts and get the milk flowing again.

Hope that helps! And I've been in that position. I hope you feel better soon!

I'm Erica

- nursed for one year

- nursed for 23 months

OOOPs! I just posted the same thing twice.

I was going to add that you can contact your local LC, midwife, or OB for advice, especially if this doesn't get better or it gets worse.

I've been in your position - hope you feel better soon!

I'm Erica

- nursed for one year

- nursed for 23 months

Smile Re: Urgent Please HELP

Hi!! I've been a mom only for 2 months but I had engorgement in both breast with certain frecuency.

The way I relief the breast is to fed my LO a couple of times with the same breast and then continue feeding normally. When he doesn't want to eat that much from the same breast (cos' he likes to change the view ) then I pump and take a soothing warm/hot/warm/cold bath with massage inside the shower.

And then the pain has gone...

Hopefully this help you... and your LO be healthy soon!!
    Love and nurture... the surrender of the ego.

Finally after 48 hours of rock hard boob, I am finally relieved. I basically let her feed on that breast most of the time and then the other side when it felt pretty full. I didn't get much out pumping today but I'm not that worried about it. I am just so glad that I can finally have a descent boob. I went to work today and put a cold pack on it every chance I got. I love my little girl for finally coming through and clearing this mess up!!!
    First time mom to Kaylee

So glad to hear that you are feeling better!
    Karen

Proud mama to
    Kaitlyn Ann 12/23/07 - 7 lbs., 15 oz.
    11/09
    Jackson Thomas 1/16/11 - 9 lbs., 3 oz.

Whew! I was going to say to try reverse pressure softening - here's the link for anyone who's reading in the same position or for (hopefully not) future reference.
    Jessica
    LLL Leader

Breastfeeding is an instinctual and natural act, but it is also an art that is learned day by day.

Visit LLL of Ashburn PM's Blog!