Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Using Donated Milk

Default Re: Using Donated Milk

I also considered donated milk until I did some extensive research. The newest research is that HPV 16 which causes cancer has been detected in bm. This is something that no blood test can detect. HPV shows no symptoms until cancerous cells show. HPV can also be linked to oral cancer and if baby gets in his mouth, he can get it. Pretty scary. New research from Berkely shows that flash pasturization can possibly kill HIV. So if that is the case, it could kill HPV and other viruses. I have used donor milk only from a friend that I know that only her and her husband have only had each other and no other partners.
    Mama to 2 wonderful girls (nursed 3 yrs.) and twin boys born 12/30/05 (stuck on the SNS due to pallate issues discovered very late) Thankful though that at least at the breast.

I just wanted to let you know that I DO use donated milk. I've seen the health screening records of the people I get milk from, and my LO is thriving from it. We did use formula until we could find enough donor milk, and you shouldn't feel bad if that's the route you decide to take. Personally, though, I'd choose using donor milk over formula any day!

This is a great option and women do share their health reports to help mothers know the donors backround. The only way to kill viruses is through pasturization. The only way to be sure there is no HPV 16 is to have the donor have a DNA pap to make sure this virus is not present. Milk Share is a wonderful organization to get donor milk from but even with that, use caution and follow their recommended safety route.
    Mama to 2 wonderful girls (nursed 3 yrs.) and twin boys born 12/30/05 (stuck on the SNS due to pallate issues discovered very late) Thankful though that at least at the breast.