Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Super Algae for increasing milk supply?

Default Super Algae for increasing milk supply?

Hey! I am desperate to get my milk supply up and I have decided to take everything I possibly can to increase my supply. I have been taking fenugreek about 3 capsules 3x/day and 1 reglan 1x/day and am only pumping about 1.5 oz both breasts combined in a 15-20 min session.

I am only pumping because my LO is rejecting the breast and I have tried all that I can and she will not latch on. I hate having to supplement with formula but I'm simply not pumping enough.

I found on this website, http://lactinv.com/breastfeeding_qna...ur_milk_supply , several different things to try to increase my supply and I noticed one item mentioned on here, Super Algae, It only says that it is a good thing to increase milk because it contains a lot of nutrition and that doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. So I was just wondering if anyone has heard of this, tried this, etc..

Also, I am interested in taking Goat's Rue as well, do you think that it would work best in the combination of More Milk Special Blend which is the same as More Milk Plus but includes Goat's Rue or should I take it seperately? I'm so new to all of this I just dont know if it would work best separate or is it all the same?

My plan of action is this...
    More Milk Plus, Goats Rue, Alfalfa, Super Algae,reglan and pumping every 3-4 hours or 6-7 x/day (about all I can fit in a day but once I start working, 3 days will have to be cut down drastically) and one of the pumping sessions will be bw 1-5am so that I can take advantage of the Prolactin peak.

Will I be over-doing it?

I would like to hear some opinions before I order anything, thanks!
    Last edited by @llli*edens.mami; December 7th, 2008 at 09:14 PM. Reason: added something to my plan of action
    Mommy to
    Eden Jolie
    August 27, 2008
    and
    Desmond William
    November 28, 2011

Default Re: Super Algae for increasing milk supply?

I don't think any mama that has struggled with supply would say you are overdoing it.

I have no idea about the super algae, but we were just on a trip and someone we were staying with was taking it for being sick. It must be a "new thing?"

Another thing I have in my low supply arsenal is fennel. It is supposed to help with letdown when pumping. I have also seen some mamas on here suggest Bach rescue remedy.

And power pumping as well. Have you tried that? 10 mins on 10 mins off for an hour?

Good luck mama....keep us posted!
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    Born at 32 weeks-3lbs/10oz
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Looking for more information about vaccines?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*nolies.mama View Post
    I don't think any mama that has struggled with supply would say you are overdoing it.

I have no idea about the super algae, but we were just on a trip and someone we were staying with was taking it for being sick. It must be a "new thing?"

Another thing I have in my low supply arsenal is fennel. It is supposed to help with letdown when pumping. I have also seen some mamas on here suggest Bach rescue remedy.

And power pumping as well. Have you tried that? 10 mins on 10 mins off for an hour?

thanks! I'll look into the Bach Rescue Remedy.

The power pumping, would I do that once a day? Or how many times do people usually do that per day ?
    Mommy to
    Eden Jolie
    August 27, 2008
    and
    Desmond William
    November 28, 2011

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*edens.mami View Post
    thanks! I'll look into the Bach Rescue Remedy.

The power pumping, would I do that once a day? Or how many times do people usually do that per day ?
    When I do it I usually do it at the same time every day (only once a day) for about a week. You should notice an increase in supply. Then if my supply dips a bit I start it again....

Good luck!
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    Born at 32 weeks-3lbs/10oz
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Looking for more information about vaccines?

When I do it I usually do it at the same time every day (only once a day) for about a week. You should notice an increase in supply. Then if my supply dips a bit I start it again....

Good luck!
    great! i'll start that tomorrow!

I just bought my more milk plus from whole foods today so hopefully i will see results soon! I may not even need all of the extras I was planning on buying but I definitely want to get some goat's rue (added benefit of increasing the bust size haha) and alfalfa is cheap so I will probably get some of that too
    Mommy to
    Eden Jolie
    August 27, 2008
    and
    Desmond William
    November 28, 2011

Wow! You are working really hard.

If you have not checked out the lowmilksupply.org website, I recommend that you do. It's based on a book that is just now coming out, "Making More Milk".

As far as Super Algae, like noliesmama, I have not heard of it. I agree with you that "a lot of nutrition" is not a method of increasing your milk supply. LLL recommends sticking with evidence-based methods (and you'll find plenty of them at lowmilksupply.org).

Your commitment is commendable. If and when you feel discouraged that you can't meet your goal, please remember that you are going to extraordinary lengths for your baby.

You didn't mention how old your baby is. You said that she is completely rejecting the breast. Not knowing what you've tried, I don't want to offer any suggestions because you may well have already tried anything I'd come up with. Just know that if you decide you want to try the breast again, there is support and information here.

Keep up the amazing work! Your baby is a lucky girl to have such a committed mother.
    Marianne
    LLL Leader

I have had success with taking higher doses of Reglan, 1 a day didn't help me much either. Bring it up with your doctor.
    “Only with trust, faith, and support can the woman allow the birth experience to enlighten and empower her.” - Annie Kennedy & Penny Simkin

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*LLLMarianne View Post
    Wow! You are working really hard.

If you have not checked out the lowmilksupply.org website, I recommend that you do. It's based on a book that is just now coming out, "Making More Milk".

As far as Super Algae, like noliesmama, I have not heard of it. I agree with you that "a lot of nutrition" is not a method of increasing your milk supply. LLL recommends sticking with evidence-based methods (and you'll find plenty of them at lowmilksupply.org).

Your commitment is commendable. If and when you feel discouraged that you can't meet your goal, please remember that you are going to extraordinary lengths for your baby.

You didn't mention how old your baby is. You said that she is completely rejecting the breast. Not knowing what you've tried, I don't want to offer any suggestions because you may well have already tried anything I'd come up with. Just know that if you decide you want to try the breast again, there is support and information here.

Keep up the amazing work! Your baby is a lucky girl to have such a committed mother.
    Thank you so much!
    She is 3 months, will be 4 on dec 27th. I tried so many things to get her to re-latch but she would just scream and scream and it was making nursing a very stressful thing (when it shouldn't) and after weeks of trying, i had to supplement her w/ formula and pumped breast milk bc she was not nursing.

Soooo now I am pumping and not getting much but we shall see how these herbs help me

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*only.woman.in.the.house View Post
    I have had success with taking higher doses of Reglan, 1 a day didn't help me much either. Bring it up with your doctor.
    I called my doctor and of course they put the nurse on the phone who takes a message and tells me to check w/ my pharmacy. I go to the pharmacy and they increased it to 2/day, I was hoping for more but we will see how this works

Thanks so much for all of the support!!!
    Mommy to
    Eden Jolie
    August 27, 2008
    and
    Desmond William
    November 28, 2011