Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Anyone use Little Dippers to teach self feeding?

Default Anyone use Little Dippers to teach self feeding?

Hi everyone. My daugher is almost 5 months and I plan to start solids at 6 months if she is ready. I purchased these little things made by Gerber, not spoons but like them with grippy handles and ends that hold food to them. I gave it to her for fun and she grabbed the handle and put the end part right in her mouth. If it had food on it she would have fed herself!! Has anyone had success with these? I really would like her to learn to feed herself rather than be spoon fed by me. It seems totally possible with these things but wanted to know if anyone had experience. Thanks!

Default Re: Anyone use Little Dippers to teach self feeding?

I used them with my son but he had more fun chewing the chunky part than utilizing the dipping part. This was him--one hand with the dipper upside down and the other one dipping it on his food--. But I think that the concept is very neat, but like everything, I guess it don't work for everyone, but at least it's multi-tasking, if it doesn't work as a dipper at least you'll have a teether !

If you don't want to spoon feed you can start with soft foods that he can grab on his own like bananas, avocados, sweet peas, etc..

HTH

We were going to try these, but a frined who has ECE told us not to. He said they were a waste of time, since they don't really teach a child anything. He recomended giving a real baby spoon (the spoon shaped kind) or just letting him eat with his fingers. We followed his advice and it worked really well for us. Ds was using a spoon all by himself by 8 mo (messily, of course, but he did get some in his mouth!) and a fork by I think 11 mo. Of course, finger foods are also a great option for younger babies: http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/firstfoods.html

My son (6 months) loves trying to feed himself. I gave him one the other day and he loved it. I've tried giving him a regular baby spoon but he gags himself with it. I bought the little dippers for my dd (almost 3). She just chewed on it.
    I guess each thing works differently for each child.

My SIL (who ffs her daughter) just gave me one...I think it's MIL and SIL way to tell me DS should be eating more and nursing less. It sits in the drawer unused. I had great success with DS1 using a short rubber coated baby spoon.

Thanks for all the replys, everyone. I think I will probably try them just for fun so I can try her on "baby guacomole" as suggested in another post. I'm glad I have this site as a resource. I was so set to start rice cereal but all the other yummy thoughts changed my mind. I will make sure to start one at a time and wait though in case of allergies!