Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: lazy baby??

Exclamation lazy baby??

My baby is three months old and i have just returned to work. I can never seem to pump so my husband feeds her formula while i work now my supply is very low i cant keep her at the breast for more than a couple mins and she fusses when she is done then wants a bottle how can i get my supply up?? i take fenugreek and drink lots of water already

Default Re: lazy baby??

can you give me your schedule.. (when you nurse and when you pump)... supplementing is not going to help but I understand your fustration!!!

I would first nurse baby as often as you can... your body will produce more as it is demand by baby...

When you are home with baby take a "nursing vaction" (I think this is what they are called) This is where you do NOTHING but just nurse baby!! Make the breast readily avaliable (no shirt) this will also help you get some rest (we all need that right). I did this at least once or twice a month once returning to work...Usually on my day off!

Here is a link that has tons of info about supply issues...
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/index.html
    Married mama with 4 kiddos...2 girls (11 & 6) and 2 boys (21mo & 3mo)

i dont pump anymore i got really upset every time i tried i only got a few drops. i nurse before i go to work and as soon as i get home then i try every three to four hours but she still acts like she isnt getting enough so i give her a bottle.(i always nurse first then give the bottle) i dont know if that helps

how long are yo gone from baby? By not pumping while away from baby, your are telling your body not to produce has much millk. I started out only pumping 1-2 oz out of each breast... Your body has to get use to the pump. What type of pump do you have? Can you hand express the milk if you don't want to pump while your away?
    Married mama with 4 kiddos...2 girls (11 & 6) and 2 boys (21mo & 3mo)

i'm gone about nine hours i have a medla hand pump i plan on getting a better pump i'm just having money problems right now

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*tee View Post
    i'm gone about nine hours i have a medla hand pump i plan on getting a better pump i'm just having money problems right now
    Getting a better pump might help a lot. If money is a problem, is there a possibility of getting insurance to help? Have you considered talking with your baby's doctor about the situation? Perhaps he or she would be willing to "prescribe" a pump because breastfeeding benefits your baby? Just trying to think creatively here...

Given that you need to supplement, you might be interested in reading about the "finish at the breast method of bottle supplementation" . It is completely the opposite of what has been the recommended norm for a long time. Maybe it could be helpful to you.

You might also want to check out the "Pumping" and "Working and Breastfeeding" forums to see what's working for other mothers in your situation.
    Marianne
    LLL Leader