Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: What should I expect? (other than the unexpected!)

Default What should I expect? (other than the unexpected!)

Well, after 3 3/4 years, my nursling has decided to wean.
    Last Sunday night she said 'no more den'. Ok I've tried to encourage her a little, talking about a weaning party and so on (tried it before but she didn't think it was worth it!). She's done pretty well the past week. She did every other day for a few days and now hasn't had any breastfeeding for 3 whole days in a row.

After she said 'no more den' I cried a little! Mourning the loss a little of that phase of our relationship, but it is time and I AM ready for the next phase! I've had a little discomfort, but not so much.

I wondered if I should let her take those other sessions, but I think she needed to know it wasn't an absolute decision yet! She likes to hug my breasts a bit when she's falling asleep, but I get that's part of the transition!

So what else can I expect for changes within myself? Any ideas? I know everyone is different! What have other moms experienced?

For example, today I felt COMPLETELY wiped out. Am I getting a cold? Or is it part of weaning? (and no, I'm NOT pregnant!). I guess I've read I could go up or down in weight! (hoping for the down, my new work-out dvd should help with that).

Do you think this really is 'it' for her? or is there a good chance that in a couple of weeks or after her weaning party she'll be wanting bf again? Should I take the hard line then? (Really, I'm ready to be done!).

Any help, advice, support! would be appreciated!!

Default Re: What should I expect? (other than the unexpected!)

Mama
    I'm not there yet with DD1 but wanted to wish you .

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on

As a child, I was weaned in one day at 4 years old. After nursing, my mother and I discussed weaning. At the mention of a weaning party with a present, I asked if we could wean the very next day! Needless to say I was much more ready to wean than she was. As I was the youngest it was a hard time for her to say goodbye to that phase of her life. Just try to keep in mind that each new phase of child rearing brings its own amazing experiences as well as challenges. I do like the idea of the party... and also perhaps an afterparty for you and your friends where you can drink more wine than you have for 5 years and properly mourn the loss of that relationship. Just my 2c.
    Lots of hugs - you are amazing

Thanks you guys!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*jumeaux View Post
    I do like the idea of the party... and also perhaps an afterparty for you and your friends where you can drink more wine than you have for 5 years and properly mourn the loss of that relationship. Just my 2c.
    Lots of hugs - you are amazing
    Love this idea! Someday, many years from now, that will be me...

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on

great idea.

Kids don't need you less when they wean they just need you in diffent ways!