Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Toddler BF article by Dr Newman

Default Re: Toddler BF article by Dr Newman

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*manitobamommy View Post
    I'm not trying to say that breastfeeding a toddler ISN'T beneficial. I am currently breastfeeding one myself, and I believe there are lots of advantages. And I certainly buy the idea that the antibodies in breastmilk are overall a good thing for toddlers. But it seems like he's implying that the antibodies in breastmilk help build immunity the same way that immunizations do. I don't believe this is true. I understand and agree with the underlying argument he's making, I just feel like this particular statement is a little poorly worded at best.

I'm also curious to know if there IS any research about how the antibodies in breastmilk interact with the infant and/or toddler's developing immune system. I think this would be a fascinating and complicated story...
    These things are tricky and in science nothing is ever really proven. Really it is always "the preponderance of the evidence suggests...". That being said, the mechanism of protection by breastmilk is as you described. It is called 'passive immunity' and the antibodies in the breast milk are given directly to the infant. Vaccines work by stimulating 'active immunity' which directly stimulates the infants immune system to produce it's own antbodies.

Rabies antiserum is an example of passive immunity.

Passive immunity lasts for weeks to months (until the immunoglobulins are gone), active immunity can last for years or a lifetime.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*newfather View Post
    These things are tricky and in science nothing is ever really proven. Really it is always "the preponderance of the evidence suggests...".
    I work in science as well, this is well familiar to me. However, there is currently a great deal we do know with a fair degree of confidence at this point regarding the immune system.

That being said, the mechanism of protection by breastmilk is as you described. It is called 'passive immunity' and the antibodies in the breast milk are given directly to the infant. Vaccines work by stimulating 'active immunity' which directly stimulates the infants immune system to produce it's own antbodies.

Rabies antiserum is an example of passive immunity.

Passive immunity lasts for weeks to months (until the immunoglobulins are gone), active immunity can last for years or a lifetime.
    Yes, that's my question. Does introducing an external source of "passive immunity" help or hinder the body's own production of antibodies? I can see arguments either way. And that's the crux of what Dr. Newman seems to be arguing with respect to the effect of breastmilk antibodies on the toddler's immune system. I was just wondering if there was any research on this.

Thats so sad that they are having such a hard time staying open. I emailed them and imediately rec'd a response re toddler nursing. They sent me a word document full of info. Not sure how to post it? Its really long but really helpful.
    C:\Documents and Settings\David Lawrence\My Documents\My Pictures\DSC00970.jpg
    Mommy to Alexander
    Born Oct 6,2006

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*jessruff View Post
    I am so sad that his clinic is closing. They lost their one donor who was keeping them afloat. I feel bad for all the mamas who won't be able over help there in the future!
    I see you are from Toronto? I'm from London.
    C:\Documents and Settings\David Lawrence\My Documents\My Pictures\DSC00970.jpg
    Mommy to Alexander
    Born Oct 6,2006

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*veggiemommy View Post
    Thats so sad that they are having such a hard time staying open.
    Yeah, sorry I hijacked the thread a little. That's the real important part - they need help!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*jessruff View Post
    I have a friend who was there a couple of weeks ago and she was told that they were going to have to close.

Apparently one woman has been their sole support for the last couple of years since her daughter was helped by Dr. Newman. She has pulled out, so while the little donations that trickle in are helpful, they can't operate for much longer without a major source of funding. It wouldn't surprise me if he managed to stay afloat somehow, somewhere; he's a very resourceful man, I was just repeating what I was told...
    Wow. That's awful about that clinic closing. I sent them a donation a couple of months ago to thank them for the help they've given me, but had no idea it was so close to actually closing the doors. Thanks for letting us know. I'm going to see if I can find out any more specifics.

Thank you for posting this, I passed it along to my fellow mama's breastfeeding.

GO BREASTFEEDINGG TODDLERSS!!

CAYLA
    Mama 2 Allie who Self-weaned @ 2 1/2
    Korben Jon born 07/25/2011*

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*veggiemommy View Post
    I see you are from Toronto? I'm from London.
    Hi fellow Ontario mama!
    Jess

Mama to my little Roxie Roo, 06/11/08

April miles for TBTTW: 63

Where is his clinic?

Way too lazy for formula

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*djs.mom View Post
    Where is his clinic?
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada.

It was (is?) in the Canadian College of Naturopathic Medicine (CCNM) building, but I think I heard that they need the space back for their own expansion.

An article about the closure.

I've never been but I've emailed him for help and I found his book a great help in the early days before I found LLL. I may not agree with everything he says but I have a great amount of respect for his work and all the help he's given BF moms.

jessruff and veggiemommy - I'm in KW
    Mellie
    mama to
    DS June 2007
    DD1 April 2009
    DD2 April 2011