Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Toddler BF article by Dr Newman

Default Toddler BF article by Dr Newman

Since I've been looking for info on the benefits of extended breastfeeding I came across this article by Dr Newman. Thought I would share. Here is the link.

http://www.drjacknewman.com/help/Bre...%20Toddler.asp
    C:\Documents and Settings\David Lawrence\My Documents\My Pictures\DSC00970.jpg
    Mommy to Alexander
    Born Oct 6,2006

Default Re: Toddler BF article by Dr Newman

I'm glad to see that--it's something I needed to hear! Thanks for posting it!

I am so sad that his clinic is closing. They lost their one donor who was keeping them afloat. I feel bad for all the mamas who won't be able over help there in the future!
    Jess

Mama to my little Roxie Roo, 06/11/08

April miles for TBTTW: 63

Hmm. I totally buy the underlying argument, but there was one bit in there that I would want a clarification on. The way that immunizations work is buy causing the body to build its own defense to a virus. However, my understanding is that breastmilk works by directly providing the antibodies, so it wouldn't help build future immunities in that case. One could make the argument that that might prevent the body from developing its own defense, although I would think it's much more likely that it would just make it a little easier to fight off this particular bug, and that the mechanisms for attacking future bugs would still be in place. But the way that Dr. Newman phrased it was a bit vague on that score. Does anyone know if there is any actual research about this?

Um, i think he says BM helps the child to fight off the illness, which confers immunity. Lemme check.
    Jess

Yup, that's what he says. Not vague at all.

BTW immunizations don't provide complete immunity. Lots of kids who are vaxed get the illnesses that they were immunizzed against. But the illness tends to be less severe.
    Jess

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*jessruff View Post
    Um, i think he says BM helps the child to fight off the illness, which confers immunity. Lemme check.
    But that's exactly my point. That's not how immunity or immunizations work. Not by providing immune factors, but by providing a copy of the illness that the body can build a system to fight against. So the antibodies in mother's milk would help fight off the disease, but that in and of itself doesn't "confer immunity". The body still has to do that itself. Maybe he just means that by helping fight off the disease, the body can more easily survive this bug, and therefore build up immunity. But that's not the same thing at all.

I'm not trying to say that breastfeeding a toddler ISN'T beneficial. I am currently breastfeeding one myself, and I believe there are lots of advantages. And I certainly buy the idea that the antibodies in breastmilk are overall a good thing for toddlers. But it seems like he's implying that the antibodies in breastmilk help build immunity the same way that immunizations do. I don't believe this is true. I understand and agree with the underlying argument he's making, I just feel like this particular statement is a little poorly worded at best.

I'm also curious to know if there IS any research about how the antibodies in breastmilk interact with the infant and/or toddler's developing immune system. I think this would be a fascinating and complicated story...

Contrary to what was written above, as far as I can see The Newman Clinic is NOT closing. Not yet anyway. They are badly in need of funding and happily accept any donation you can give.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*momma2-3 View Post
    Contrary to what was written above, as far as I can see The Newman Clinic is NOT closing. Not yet anyway. They are badly in need of funding and happily accept any donation you can give.
    I have a friend who was there a couple of weeks ago and she was told that they were going to have to close.

Apparently one woman has been their sole support for the last couple of years since her daughter was helped by Dr. Newman. She has pulled out, so while the little donations that trickle in are helpful, they can't operate for much longer without a major source of funding. It wouldn't surprise me if he managed to stay afloat somehow, somewhere; he's a very resourceful man, I was just repeating what I was told...
    Jess