Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pathetic pumping output at 18 mths!

Default Pathetic pumping output at 18 mths!

I could really use some reassurance here, I have been pumping the last couple nights about 2 hrs after my lo goes to bed and the most I get is 1-1.5 oz! I'm trying to get enough so that Grandma can put her to bed while dh and I have a very rare night out. This seems so low to me, I know you can't tell how much she is getting but I can't imagine she is getting the recommended 16 oz per day. She nurses 4-5 times but its usually only 10 min or so. Is this normal at this age? I want to be sure she gets enough breast milk since she is allergic to dairy and her diet is limited. Am I worrying too much??

Aileen
    Mom to Abigail, born May 3rd, 2007 (self-weaned at 27 mths) and Charlotte, born Nov. 24th, 2009. Both reflux babies and EBF. Charlotte weighs 31 lbs at 26 mths.

Default Re: Pathetic pumping output at 18 mths!

Yes that's normal. Many women only pump 1-2 oz even, and your LO is a little older. Nighttime is the best time for your schedule but also remember that your milk-making hormones are highest in the morning and many women say that their morning output is larger-just food for thought

Have you pumped before and gotten a larger amount? I found that my supply decreased significantly when Ds was 9 mos.
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

Where the Wind Comes Sweepin' Down the Plain

I'm soooooooo right there with you, momma!!! My output has plummeted since I went back to work at 14 mo. My supply has dwindled since then. I nurse 2 to 3 times per day, maybe 4 times on the weekend. From what I understand, as long as they nurse 3 times per day, they're getting enough. Now, that being said, I still don't know if that's enough. I have had pumping sessions when I hadn't nursed in over 12 hours and only pumped 3.5 or 4 oz. I hardly think I am making enough anymore. I'm sorry if I'm doing a I just wanted you to know that you're not alone. I've expressed this concern and don't feel a whole lot better about it, I'm sorry to say. I was told to hang up the pump and quit worrying about it. Maybe they were right, but my mommy instinct tells me that for my little guy, I'm not making enough. That's not to say that that is the case for you.
    **Margaret**(the artist formerly known as mommamags) Mom to red- and curly-headed, blue-eyed, chunky-thighed Michael Thomas, 24 May 2007, 9 lb/22 in. As an infant, he was my little suckling pig. Now he's a total ham!!!

I have never pumped very often (she refused a bottle) and usually only at night after she is in bed. A few months ago I would get 2.5-3 oz at that time. She has really reduced her nursing and is is love with solid food. I just want to be sure she gets enough and I didn't want to wean before age 2.
    Mom to Abigail, born May 3rd, 2007 (self-weaned at 27 mths) and Charlotte, born Nov. 24th, 2009. Both reflux babies and EBF. Charlotte weighs 31 lbs at 26 mths.

you could nurse her down and then sneak out...
    IF your not on a schudle...

I feel your pain I went back to work a couple months ago and can only pump 1/2 oz to 2 oz depending on the day.

Formerly known as Huntersmomma
    Momma to 3 yr old Hunter proudly breast fed until 2 & 1/2
    Expecting baby #2, Due in Jan 2011

Where the Wind Comes Sweepin' Down the Plain

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*farm.girl View Post
    I feel your pain I went back to work a couple months ago and can only pump 1/2 oz to 2 oz depending on the day.
    Sounds like we're getting our own little club started...
    **Margaret**(the artist formerly known as mommamags) Mom to red- and curly-headed, blue-eyed, chunky-thighed Michael Thomas, 24 May 2007, 9 lb/22 in. As an infant, he was my little suckling pig. Now he's a total ham!!!

That's about the time my pumping output started to really tank. I was pumping at work since DD2 was 6 months and it was around 18 months that I started not getting hardly anything. Now, at 22 months, I don't pump anymore (stopped around that time at 18 months) and only nurse am and before bed - nap time on weekends. She gets fortified OJ or cow's milk at dcp now.

I get the same amount too... just an 1oz or 2 and I used to get plenty when I pumped.. it takes me alot longer to get a let down with the pump too. I know my lo is getting plenty of breastmilk - I think the breasts just aren't as sensitive. But yeah I think its normal!!!

Married my man Michael 5/12/2006
    Keira Joyce 6/1/07 Breastfed for 22 months Peanut Allergy- Outgrown 11/2010!!!!
    Israel Benedict 10/10/09- Breastfed for 27 months ( 9 months tandem with his sister)
    Nairi Anne 4/1/2011 still nursing at 14 months
    My Daily Blog
    Cloth diapers on the bum!

Thanks everyone, I just get worried but I have to trust after all this time that it will be ok. I hope we make it till she is 2 but if not, I tried and she has gotten a LOT of breastmilk! And all but maybe 10 oz from me directly!