Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Help....Weight Gain

Question Help....Weight Gain

Ok heres the history...He was 10 days early and only weighed 5 lb 12 oz at birth 19 in. long. He gained weight great and got up to the 50% quickly for both height and weight. Then 2 days ago at his 5 month check up he was only 13 lbs even (only 1 pound since his last visit), and height only increased a little. Half inch I think. Yesterday we went to hospital and had Berium(sp) swallow (upper GI) done to look for problems because he projectile vomits too and all was clear and normal. Worrying like crazy. Ordered a baby scale (only $30) when it gets here plan to wiegh before and after each feeding. Bfing and 1 4oz rice cereal a day. I really need help and advise on what to do. Dr said might be reflux but radiologist said nope and not pyloric stenosis either. Any ideas??? HELP!!! I do still have ppd and on 50 mg Zoloft. Also little man has wheat allergy. Thanks gals

Default Re: Help....Weight Gain

i hated the scale during pregnancy and now i hate it with my little man too!

if you son is projectile vomited it is quite possible he isn't able to keep enough of his food in. my ped gi told me the upper GI was mostly to look at the place/rotation or all the guts and not necessarily to see reflux. is he on any meds for the reflux? is he a happy spitter? you might also keep a food diary and see if you can track down anything you eat that might bother him. cutting out dairy and soy was a great start for us. are you doing anything else that might help him keep food in--keeping upright after feeds, smaller feeds more often, etc? how are his diapers?

getting a scale is a great idea but don't obsess about it!

gotta run--naptime ended early

Max & Maddie's Mommy

Madeline Grace 06/02/02, reflux
    Luke Macsen 04/01/08, severe reflux, MFPI, FTT

13 lbs. doesn't sound too small for 5 mo. old, but maybe I'm wrong?

Personally, I think the peds care too much about weight gain and definitely care WAY too much about the percentage scale.

Like the pp, how are the diaper outputs?

Do you feel like you are producing enough milk?

I'm Erica

Mommy to "C" - currently 3 and half years old
    - nursed for one year

and mommy to "M" - currently 2 years old
    - nursed for 23 months

Wife to my handsome DH for 5 and a half years!

Well he's up for 1 hour after feeding except at night. I am so worried about his weight I have moved back in to his room to co-sleep again (stopped when he started sleeping through the night 5-6 weeks ago). He just started reflux meds today. Will let you know how that goes. He has about 5-6 wets and 1 dirty a day on average. I think I am producing good amount of milk. I pumped last night for the first time in months and got 5 oz. So I am not 100% sure how much he's getting/keeping down... therefore the scales. I did want to give you guys his weights and see what you thought.....

6-30-08 Birth 5 lb 12 oz
    7-2 5 lbs 6 oz
    7-8 5 lbs 16 oz (if had full bladder it would have been 6 lbs even but he peed on me lol)
    7-21 7 lbs 7 3/8 oz
    8-21 10 lbs 6.5 oz
    9-23 12 lbs
    12-3 13 lbs

any ideas guys?? thanks

Hi, I just wanted to say that my 6.5 month old is just under 15 pounds. I'm not too worried about her weight. I know she's eating well and thriving. She was in the 50% and now is in the 25%, the doctor said it could be better. But other mom's say not to worry too much about it, that it is a normal paterns for BF babies. You know if your lo is healthy or not. The charts doctors use are based on FF babies as many BFing moms will tell you. I went on kelly mom and found a calculator to calculate the average weight gain of my BREASTFED baby - made me feel a lot better! HTH.
    Here is the calculator:
    http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns...alculator.html
    Proud mom of 2:
    DD 5/2008 nursed for 3 years and 3 months.
    DS born 8/2011 nursing like a champ

Sorry for the short responses...always, always, always NAK or holding a baby

I have the same problem with DD. She was 5 lbs 10 oz when she was born. She's 19 weeks old and gains maybe 3 oz a week if that. She weighs 10 lbs 8 oz.
    28 y/o, happy wife to C
    doula, placenta lady, lactivist, non- vax, , , mommy to H (7/08)
    **Swagbucks anyone?** **Search, earn, redeem**

My old ped said same to me, and sent me to a GI and a nutritionist, my lo was 6.5 at birth and now at 41/2 months weighs almost 11 lbs I refused to let GI tube her and the Gi told me that he never would have b/c they tested her BM and there was no blood and on a BF baby girl growth chart she is in the 85th percentile....we have found a new ped who thinks she is perfect...btw, lo has reflux too...keep your chin up, I think his growth is great
    First time Mommy to Gianna and lovin' my Lil' Family! Head over heels for my DH

Almost one year and counting!!! Love to and

You can hold off on the rice cereal until he's at least 6 months and gaining better. One of the recommendations for babies with slow weight gain is actually to reduce their solids as most solids have less caloric density and less nutrition than breastmilk.

How often are you feeding him? 'Feeding on demand' rather than 'feeding on schedule' is always recommended and I'm sure you're already doing that. Why not add some extra feeds, also, these are called 'opportunity feeds'. Offer him the breast when he wakes up, when he goes to sleep, every hour while he's awake. Offer him your breast before you go shopping, that sort of thing. You'll be surprised how often he's willing to nurse, even if he wasn't showing any hunger cues. You may want to slip in a 'dream feed' at night if he's sleeping through the night. Offer your 'opportunity feeds' in a quiet dark room. I also suggest using the lying down position, DS was more willing to eat and ate better when we used it than if I held him in the traditional cradle hold.
    Last edited by @llli*monika.h; December 10th, 2008 at 01:54 AM.