Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 3 week old really gassy-any ideas?

Default 3 week old really gassy-any ideas?

My three week old is really gassy and fussy after eating. BM's seem painful and watery. His tummy growls and gurgles all the time. He eats about every two to three hours and is gaining weight like a champ. I already cut most veggies (peppers, onions) and garlic from my diet and am now looking a cutting dairy. I only eat yogart and soy milk anyway. I really don't think it will help, but I am willing to try anything for some sleep at this point.

Default Re: 3 week old really gassy-any ideas?

My first thoughts would be dairy or OALD(overactive letdown)
    I had OALD with DS and had to cut dairy with DD, both made a HUGE improvement rather quickly.
    Here is a good link on OALD symptoms and solutions, if that sounds like it might be the problem.

I would also have some tummy time with DD, who had horrible gas, right before bed to help her get some of it out. It's hard when they're uncomfortable, I hope you find a solution soon

Amy married to my bestfriend since 10/30/04

Proud SAHM to DS born 2/17/07 and DD born 9/11/08 Both weaned together 11/2011
    Currently milk, peach, peanut and tree nut free. DD has outgrown her wheat, cheese, egg, garlic, and citrus allergies

Gripe water alllllllwayyysss helped us. it helps with hiccups and constipation too. you can get it at walgreens for like $11 a bottle i think, or puritan.com for $8/bottle but then you have to pay shipping and wait for it. HTH
    I'm Jamie, and im Proud to be:
    Carter's SAHM since 11-27-07 and now to Eli too, since 7-25-11
    Cody's Wife since 8-28-08

and and

my healthy boys don't get vaccines

Gassiness can be a sign of oversupply. And a dairy sensitvity is usually associated with mucus like stools as well. Most moms find they can eat any foods without consequence, but the top offenders are dairy, soy, & eggs.
    Renee
    LLL Leader

OUr little one is very gassy! We use mylicon(or target brand) religiously. I used to give it to him about 3-4 times per day regardless of whether he had gas, I wanted to prevent that type of gas. The daycare provider now gives him does when he needs it. When I don't he gets uncomofrtable gas. I have also found htat the gripe water helps with hiccups and consitpation.

I had oversupply and it started when my LO was about three weeks old and I was feeding her and pumping to build up my supply (guess I overdid things!). She would pull off the breast and scream, her tummy always gurgled and rumbled and she was very uncomfortable. Do your breasts leak between feeds or feel especially full? Have you tried bottles (of EBM) and if so does your LO take them without issue? Your LO is still pretty small so you might not have tried the bottle yet. Read through the link from kellymom.com about oversupply and also search oversupply on this site and see if the description fits you and your LO. Also, you don't need to give up foods that make you gassy, you can pretty much eat what you want unless you suspect an allergy and then you should consider cutting out milk, soy, etc as PP said. So eat your veggies!
    And tummy time helps a lot as PP said, also I found bouncing her on a yoga ball helpful to get those burps out. Mylicon drops didn't work for us, but my sister and neighbors swear by them.
    DD (7/23/08) self weaned at 17 months
    DS (6/20/10) nursing like a champ