Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: painful letdown

Default painful letdown

Hi all I am a forth time nurser to a 4 week old, but I have never had letdown that is so painful before. I have no pain while nursing or after/before. Just when my milk is coming in. It's a real pulling/burning sensation. I haven't noticed any signs of thrush in my son or externally on me. Please help.

Default Re: painful letdown

This Usually Happens To Me When I Am Dehydrated Have You Been Drinking Tons Of Water??

I have.

Ok My Next Guess Is....
    Are You Having Particularly Strong Let Downs Is The Baby Gulping, Gassy,...

I do have a really strong letdown. My son often pulls off the breast at first b/c it comes too fast. He is also gassy. He only gulps if he has been more than 3 hours between feeds, which rarely happens. I nurse on demand so often there is little space between on feed and the next. Sometime he will have a small snack an hour after finishing his main feed. And I comfort nurse too.

Hi there,
    According to LLLI, some mothers do feel "a tingling, pins-and-needles sensation with the let-down or a sharp, stabbing pain or cramp. Other mothers do not notice any sensation or feel it only occasionally."

So you are well within the range of normal. Since you are not experiencing pain in your nipples or breasts before feedings, during feedings (other than let-down) or after feedings, then this may be considered normal.

HTH!

I had painful let down like that with my ds at first. It went away after about the 3rd month. Now I hardly notice it.