Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Trouble pooping.

Default Trouble pooping.

My boy is 8 weeks old. He used to poo everyday, 5-6x a day, up until 6 weeks old. Now he only goes once every 5-6 days. He gets really grumpy and has tons of gas. Anyone as any advice what to do or try?

Default Re: Trouble pooping.

This is quite normal...

After Six Weeks
    It is normal for the bowel movements of a breastfed to decrease in frequency when the colostrum, which has laxative properties, is completely gone from the mother's milk after about six weeks of age. A baby this age may continue to have bowel movements as frequently as five times a day, sometimes even after every nursing. It is also normal for a breastfed baby older than six weeks to have only one bowel movement every few days. Some healthy babies will have only one bowel movement a week. When bowel movements are less frequent, they should be more profuse in volume. As long as the baby is gaining well, wetting sufficiently, and is happy and content there is no cause to be alarmed by infrequent bowel movements, and it is not necessary to give the baby a laxative, fruit juice, or any other "helpers." In fact, attempting to force bowel movements can have harmful consequences to your baby.
    Renee
    LLL Leader

My LO did the same thing...she would not poo for a few days. The doctor said that was normal and that since she was not pooing as much she would have some gas...and boy does she! If it bothers her we give her some mylacon drops and that seems to make her feel better.
    Mom to baby girl 7/15/08 and baby boy 4/13/10.

breast feeding again

I'm a mama.

when my older son was about that age, his bms decreased also and it wasn't really an issue (as the pp said). But if they seem to be straining or visibly in pain from constipation, then you might want to call your ped. Ours told us to put some olive oil on a q-tip and place it about 1/4 inch into the rectum to "tickle it out" of him. It worked, but she cautioned us not to do it too frequently as it would lessen his body's own instinct to go.
    Mari
    Mohamed 6-9-06
    Jad 11-27-08