Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Another supplement ? for experienced...

Default Another supplement ? for experienced...

Mamas...

Ok, my pedi convinced me to give E an all natural Vit D supplement. All well & fine with it after careful research

Now...if I am taking a One a Day (Women's) supplement myself & we currently BF somewhere bet. 4-6 or so times a day -

Is E also getting Vit. D from my milk?!

I am not going to over dose her am I? I give her right around the required 400IU daily dosage.

Thank you all in advance for taking the time to chime in and ease my mind

"Children reinvent your world for you." Susan Sarandon

Default Re: Another supplement ? for experienced...

hELp me Mamas!!! why do I always try to brainstorm on a Sat. when most people are enjoying their day off

..ok...back to waiting patiently

http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/vi...vitamin-d.html

from that link

In the US, the recommended intake of vitamin D for babies and lactating mothers is 200 IU (5 micrograms) per day, the same as for anyone else under the age of 50.

Infants 0-12 months should not exceed 1,000 IU (25 µg) per day. Anyone aged 1-50 years should not exceed 2,000 IU (50 µg) per day.

The amount of vitamin D in human milk is small: 0.5-3.4 µg/liter (20-136 IU/liter) [Hamosh 1991, Good Mojab 2002] in mothers who are not vitamin D deficient. However, the vitamin D in human milk is in a form that is very easily used by the baby and therefore adequate for most infants, when combined with a small amount of sun exposure

I wouldn't worry to much about your lo getting too much VIt D.. although the current recommendations for babies is 400 IU and adults is around 800 .. Vit d is currently being researched and here is possiblity of adults needing as much as 10,000 IU + a day. I personally take 3-5,000 IU a day and I give my nursing toddler 400 IU. She nurses 3-4 times a day still. I had my Vit D levels tested and they were low. As are most people's around here since we live in the northeast where is cloudy and wintery for 6-7 months out of the year. Vit D is a fat soluable Vit I believe so its better absorbed with fat.. I give it with a meal or right after or before I breastfeed dd.

Married my man Michael 5/12/2006
    Keira Joyce 6/1/07 Breastfed for 22 months Peanut Allergy- Outgrown 11/2010!!!!
    Israel Benedict 10/10/09- Breastfed for 27 months ( 9 months tandem with his sister)
    Nairi Anne 4/1/2011 still nursing at 14 months
    My Daily Blog
    Cloth diapers on the bum!

Thank you both

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*kmama2 View Post
    I wouldn't worry to much about your lo getting too much VIt D.. although the current recommendations for babies is 400 IU and adults is around 800 .. Vit d is currently being researched and here is possiblity of adults needing as much as 10,000 IU + a day. I personally take 3-5,000 IU a day and I give my nursing toddler 400 IU. She nurses 3-4 times a day still. I had my Vit D levels tested and they were low. As are most people's around here since we live in the northeast where is cloudy and wintery for 6-7 months out of the year. Vit D is a fat soluable Vit I believe so its better absorbed with fat.. I give it with a meal or right after or before I breastfeed dd.
    Totally agree. The recommendations have just changed, with 400 IU being the new rec. I don't know how old that kellymom link is that says 200. I wouldn't worry about giving LO too much. Anyways, I have a hard time believing that giving the supp plus what LO gets from your milk and dietary sources could ever be too much, let alone dangerous. I would rather give a little too much than not enough. My LO is 12 mos and BF's 5-8 times per day and I still give him the supp.

The kellymom link is outdated. Recent research suggests that many women do not have enough vitamin D in their bodies to provide a sufficient amount for their babies.

If you're sticking to the prescribed amount of supplement, it seems unlikely that your baby could receive toxic levels through your milk.
    Last edited by @llli*LLLKaren; December 13th, 2008 at 11:22 AM.
    Karen
    Forums Admin

Find an LLL Leader or Meeting | Get one-on-one help from a Leader online | Become a Member of LLLI

Feel like you need professional help? ¿Es usted necesita ayuda profesional? --> Find an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC) <--