Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Peeling fruits & veggies

Default Peeling fruits & veggies

I have a 7 month old and have been making my daughter's baby food. But I'm unsure of whether or not to peel some of the fruits & veggies.

So far, I've taken the skin off of just about everything, but am I stripping away nutrients that would be good for her? Or are the skins too hard for them to digest?

I've fed her (or prepared and frozen) the following:
    Apples
    Pears
    Avocados
    Bananas
    Eggplant
    Acorn Squash
    Butternut Squash
    Zuchini
    Yellow Squash
    Sweet Potato
    Peaches
    Apricots

Some are more obvious than others here (ie bananas & avocados), but what about zuchini & yellow squash or pears???

Default Re: Peeling fruits & veggies

Ime zuchini and pears both have rather soft skin. As long as the pear was ripe and the zuchini cooked till rather soft, ds has never had a problem with it.

I'm not sure about apples; I think ds is quite peculuar with them -- he much prefers the skin on so he can take it off himself! He never swallows it, just gives it to me.

I have heard that is is best to leave most skins on (well, the ones adults would eat anyway) because they are an important source of fibre. I have never even considered peeling grapes for ds, for example, though I know some moms do.

i would only give skin if its organic. even then if not pureed may be choking hazzard.
    skin of some fruit like apple is hard to digest

i wonder when skin is alright too.
    good question.

I started off peeling everything (to the point of being tedious and peeling grapes ) and cutting the pieces as small as my pinky nail. Then the same thought occurred to me about the nutrients being lost as I put those skins down the disposal. I then started experimenting with things - more to see what DD could handle. She does great with grapes (now just cut in half), pears, peaches, plums, and sometimes even apples. Although occasionally, she'll do the same thing and just hand me the peel out of her mouth.

I think each lo is different. I find that my DD is very patient, and carefully chews each bite.

I also am sitting right at the table with her, so if she ever did start having difficulty with a piece of food I could quickly help.

I think you try as you go ... and yes, take a look at the other end when they poop. That will tell you how well they're chewing and digesting what you're giving them.

I agree with the previous poster who mentioned buying organic. I think if you do give them the skins that is really important. Especially with apples, imported grapes, nectarines, peaches, pears, and potatoes. See:

When it pays to buy organic

Guide to Pesticides in Produce

The fruits and veggies I listed above are the worst offenders for pesticides, even after washing.

The U.S. Department of Agriculture’s own lab testing reveals that even after washing, some fruits and vegetables consistently carry much higher levels of pesticide residue than others. Based on an analysis of more than 100,000 U.S. government pesticide test results, researchers at the Environmental Working Group (EWG), a research and advocacy organization based in Washington, D.C., have developed the “dirty dozen” fruits and vegetables, above, that they say you should always buy organic if possible because their conventionally grown counterparts tend to be laden with pesticides. Among fruits, nectarines had the highest percentage testing positive for pesticide residue.

Mama to Adeline Brett, breastfed for 4.5 years (12/14/05) and little Eliza June, new tiny sprite in my arms and still learning the ropes (7/18/10)

Family Blog • If I'm here I'm nursing and typing one handed ... forgive the typos!
    And I'm not a newbie at all ... I'm trying to get my old user ID working from back in the day ... paint-the-moon

I think (but someone may be able to correct or clarify on this) that eggplant skin has a higher potential for allergy risk, so you might be careful about that veg. Anyone know anything about that?