Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: I want to nurse my 6-8 month-old adopted daughter

Default I want to nurse my 6-8 month-old adopted daughter

My husband and I should be bringing our daughter home from Ethiopia around October '09. I am planning on nursing her, but don't know when to start the process and whether or not I need to take any sort of medication. She will likely be about 6 or 7 months when she comes home.

My original plan was simply to pump as much as possible from the time we receive our referral to the time we travel and bring her home (2-3 months). I just weaned our son about 6 months ago. Will it be easier to produce enough milk if I start pumping now/soon rather than waiting another 9 months? I want to do everything in my power to help my daughter breastfeed. Please send me any advice. Thank you!

Default Re: I want to nurse my 6-8 month-old adopted daughter

Good for you for taking this on

I don't know the answers to some of your specific questions, but hopefully someone with experience in this will be able to help. From my naive opinion, I'm guessing starting 9 months before might be a bit much - you might burn out before the baby arrives - but maybe you could store up a stash in case you're not successful getting her to latch and/or donate some if you do get it going. But I could be wrong - I know it does take a big commitment to start lactation from scratch. You might also look into taking drugs to help get things going - something like Reglan or Domperidone, with a doctor's prescription.

We love to hear stories like yours, so feel free to post about your progress here, if you're looking for support.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*xandrahale View Post
    My husband and I should be bringing our daughter home from Ethiopia around October '09. I am planning on nursing her, but don't know when to start the process and whether or not I need to take any sort of medication. She will likely be about 6 or 7 months when she comes home.

My original plan was simply to pump as much as possible from the time we receive our referral to the time we travel and bring her home (2-3 months). I just weaned our son about 6 months ago. Will it be easier to produce enough milk if I start pumping now/soon rather than waiting another 9 months? I want to do everything in my power to help my daughter breastfeed. Please send me any advice. Thank you!
    How exciting for you! The most recent issue of New Beginnings (La Leche League International's bimonthly journal) has a lengthy article about adoptive nursing. It's not on the LLLI website yet, so perhaps you can borrow that issue from your local LLL Leader?

I did find this from New Beginnings in 2006

Some mothers have found the fourfriends website very helpful.

Last, your local LLL group probably has the book "Nursing Your Adopted Baby" in its library. (That is, if you have a local group.) You can ask about borrowing that book.

You've come to the right place for encouragement and support and information. Please hang around and keep asking questions. Also, you might find it helpful to scan some of the earlier threads on this board.

Best wishes!
    Marianne
    LLL Leader

Good luck to you mama, and how wonderful that you are willing to work so hard to share the gift of breastfeeding with your adopted baby! I wish I had some advice for you, but all I can offer are !!!

Erin
    Wife to a grizzly
    Mama to my little deer (12/05) my loving bear cub (9/07--), and our little tiger (3/22/10)
    Born by one c-section and 2 amazing VBACs

Miles in 2012: 350.5/900 (Actual Miles Ran: 189)
    Miles in 2011: 708.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 509)
    Miles in 2010: 800.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 620)

January Miles: 37.5/75
    February Miles: 59/75
    March Miles: 42.5/60
    April Miles: 64
    May Miles: 41/70
    June Miles: 59
    July Miles: 39.5

227.5 miles on my new shoes
    338 miles on my old shoes

I don't have any advice either but wanted to say that you are awesome!!!
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    Born at 32 weeks-3lbs/10oz
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Looking for more information about vaccines?

When I read your post I also thought of the latest issue of New Beginnings that had an article that would be so great for you to read. It is so wonderful of you to want to do this for your daughter. What an amazing mama you are! And what a very lucky girl your daughter is. Lots of Good luck with this journey!
    Mama to my Rubies
    C '07
    A '09
    And my Christmas Eve baby
    L '12
    I will carry you all my life
    And I will praise the one who's chosen me to carry you
    W Apr '11
    R Nov '11
    The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. They must be felt within the heart. *Helen Kellar*

Wink Re: I want to nurse my 6-8 month-old adopted daughter

Thank you for all of your support! I will check out the New Beginnings article that a couple of you recommended and figure out the best plan possible!

Thanks Again!

I have been thinking of doing the exact same thing you are doing, except we're not even near ready to adopt yet, but in the future...I am greatly interested to hear how it all goes for you, and maybe learn for myself from your experience. I'm rooting for you and your new lo
    ~Sylvia~

Wife to Nick, m. May 2005

Mommy to Gabriel (b. January 2007, 8lbs. 15oz.), nursed 18 months.

Isaac (b. August 2009, 9lbs. 1oz- naturally), nursed 22 months, through PPD/PPA and emergency gallbladder surgery.

and Corban (b. March 2012, 11lbs. 6Oz.- naturally in the water), my NICU baby, still nursing strong at age 2!

Daughter of God