Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: getting a full supply with relactating

Smile getting a full supply with relactating

I have been trying to relactate and been using dom and fenugreek and mother's milk tea. I've been doing it for about 4 weeks and having been getting more and more milk. My question is does anybody know about how long it takes to get a good supply? I am happy with anything I get but would love to give my baby as much as possible.

Default Re: getting a full supply with relactating

That is wonderful that you are getting more and more milk! I think the timeframe depends a lot on the individual and 4 weeks does not sound unreasonable from what I have read. You are doing awesome!
    2001 2004 2008

Smile Re: getting a full supply with relactating

Thanks for your response. I really appreciate the support.

I don't know what dosage you are on for Dom, but my understanding is that the dose can be increased to some degree above the typical starting dose. Definitely something to work with your doctor on, just worth asking about. Also, I believe that you are supposed to give Dom at least 6 weeks to see if it works. (Sounds like it is working for you! ) Some moms also get results by taking blessed thistle with the fenugreek. I think what will work for you depends on your own body chemistry. There are also so many options out there. If one thing doesn't seem to work, there are other to things to try. Keep up the great work mama!
    2001 2004 2008

I wonder about increasing my dom dose. My MD prescribed it for me but doesn't know that much about it. I think I'm the first she ever gave it to. If anyone knows the answer to that. What is the max dose of dom to be taken in a day? I'll have to look it up and see if I can find the answer.:

That's great that you decided to re-lactate! I think the time it takes to build a full supply depends on whether you had a full supply before, how old your LO is, how many times/day you're pumping etc.

When you say you want a full supply...how much milk are you getting now/day, how often are you pumping and what pump are you using?

You'll find more info about Domperidone here:

http://www.drjacknewman.com/help/Dom...%20Started.asp

http://www.kellymom.com/health/meds/...actagogue.html
    Canadian mom and breastmilk fan.
    We have 2 beautiful children: Luana who's 9 y/o, had breastmilk for 2 years and is smart as a whip. Lucas who came out kickin', is 4 y/o and continues to enjoy his milkies.

My baby is 7 months old now. Everytime I pump I get an ounce now which is amazing. I pump every 4 hours. I was pumping every 3 but it seemed like I would get maybe 10cc's every 3 and 1 ounce every 4. I would really like if I could get enough so he takes only breastmilk and no formula. He is starting baby food and cutting some of his formula so maybe 15-20 oz a day. But I really am happy with anything I can get. I wanted to get him to latch on but I don't think that will be possible after all this time. Thanks for the links I will definately look at them.