Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Nursing and acne

Default Nursing and acne

Hi All,

Mommylaura here. Haven't been on here in a loooong time. Hope everyone's doing fantastic!

Noah's still nursing. He's a little over 2 1/2. He's nursing less in the past couple months (3-4 times/day) and I feel like my hormones are going haywire. Really bad PMS and chin acne. Everyone I've consulted says it's probably due to hormones changing.

So my question is, anyone had the same problems I've mentioned (hormones fluctuating with decreased nursing)

and

did those problems resolve after a while or after nursing? About how long?

I'm not interested in weaning to clear up these problems, but I do wonder what the heck is going on and would appreciate any input. I know everyone's different, but I don't know anyone who's nursed this long IRL and really need some feedback!

Thanks!

"Kind hearts are the gardens, kind thoughts are the roots, kind words are the flowers, kind deeds are the fruits. Take care of your garden and keep out the weeds, fill it with sunshine, kind words and kind deeds." - Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Wife to my wonderful Simon
    Parenting my sweet Noah born 5.2.06 from the heart

http://www.normalizebreastfeeding.com

Default Re: Nursing and acne

My daughter is 16 months and I started having bad chin acne when I quit pumping during the day at 1 year. She still nurses at night...all night. I had the bad PMS/crabbiness all the time, too. The crabbiness went on for about 2 months before I started feeling better. The acne is still here. I know I'm not much help other than to say, "I'm right there with ya on that".
    Mommy to 2 beautiful girls!
    DD1
    7-16-07 (birth) 6lb 8oz 19 in
    1-25-08 (6 mo) 14lb 2oz 25.5 in
    4-25-08 (9 mo) 16lb 0oz 27.5 in
    7-21-08 (12 mo) 16lb 8oz 27.75 in
    BF until 2 years old and still a peanut!
    DD2
    4-30-10 (birth) 6lb 11oz 18 in
    7-02-10 (2 mo) 11lb 0oz 21 in
    9-07-10 (4 mo) 12lb 13oz 24.75 in
    2-04-11 (9 mo) 13lb 8oz 27 in
    and at work

and at home and daycare

OH. MY. G_D!!! As I live an breathe! Hi Ms THANG!!!

MY question is what was your skin like BEFORE the nursing began?
    Because before I began breastfeeding was a fairly greasy mexican. And a neurotic picker. And I could squeeze both side of my nose for blackheads pretty much every day. And when I started breastfeeding DJ that habit was gone. As was any sign of grease. In fact in it's place was bits of dry skin on the sides of my nose. (And on my feet and my elbows.)

And now as we close in on his 3rd B-day as we are down to 2-3 times a day....I am seeing a little bit of grease in the face.
    And I imagine it's due to the shifting in the how much he's eating.
    So if you had skin issues before, I would assume they will return and you should deal with them the same as you did before Noah's birth. If you didn't then I imagine it's just your body readjusting to someone sucking less than the life out of you and will calm down.
    Call, write sometime.

Way too lazy for formula

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*djs.mom View Post

Because before I began breastfeeding was a fairly greasy mexican. And a neurotic picker. And I could squeeze both side of my nose for blackheads pretty much every day. And when I started breastfeeding DJ that habit was gone. As was any sign of grease. In fact in it's place was bits of dry skin on the sides of my nose. (And on my feet and my elbows.)

And now as we close in on his 3rd B-day as we are down to 2-3 times a day....I am seeing a little bit of grease in the face.
    So if you had skin issues before, I would assume they will return and you should deal with them the same as you did before Noah's birth. If you didn't then I imagine it's just your body readjusting to someone sucking less than the life out of you and will calm down.
    Call, write sometime.

I had pretty much normal skin before breastfeeding, and now my skin is really dry on the sides of my nose and around my chin. Good to know that it will probably go back to normal, but dd is only 3 mos old and we've got a long road of breastfeeding ahead of us! It's worth every bit of dry skin though.

I'm Laura, mamma of 2

5-27-06

8-30-08

We love and

We have been nursing for over 2 years now!

I met with a homeopath about recurring lumps. I got a "constitutional" remedy and it also helped clear my acne. There are specific remedies for acne and homeopathy is safe while breastfeeding. I highly recommend.

jennifer

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*irish7eyes7 View Post
    My daughter is 16 months and I started having bad chin acne when I quit pumping during the day at 1 year. She still nurses at night...all night. I had the bad PMS/crabbiness all the time, too. The crabbiness went on for about 2 months before I started feeling better. The acne is still here. I know I'm not much help other than to say, "I'm right there with ya on that".
    so it sounds like, from both of our experiences, the decreased nursing is affecting those good ol hormones and they'll probably even out after awhile. thanks for your input mama

"Kind hearts are the gardens, kind thoughts are the roots, kind words are the flowers, kind deeds are the fruits. Take care of your garden and keep out the weeds, fill it with sunshine, kind words and kind deeds." - Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*djs.mom View Post

Call, write sometime.
    Yes, yes, I know...I'm a slacker. I've missed you and coming in here and think about you guys ALL the time, wondering how you're doing. How ARE you doing?

oh wow I realized that the last post I made he WAS sucking the life out of me! I'm happy to report he's nursing to a degree that is working for BOTH of us and I can't complain in that area.

now about the skin issues. yeah, I NEVER had acne until I started nursing, then it subsided, now it's back in full force. Hopefully it is just the hormones readjusting, makes sense. I just hope it goes back to normal soon because I feel like there's a village hanging out on my chin every morning I wake up. I'd rather have zits when I was a teenager than at 30! But like one of the PP's mentioned, it's all worth it. Just sucks when I look in the mirror! They're those painful ones, too, where even when you aren't looking in the mirror, you can FEEL them there. Ouch!

xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*ferferberry View Post
    I met with a homeopath about recurring lumps. I got a "constitutional" remedy and it also helped clear my acne. There are specific remedies for acne and homeopathy is safe while breastfeeding. I highly recommend.

jennifer

You know, I was thinking about doing that exact same thing, as we take Noah to a homeopath, Dr. Feder. She's awesome. I've been thinking about seeing her for myself as well, but you know how it goes, somehow doctor appt's and dentist appt's for mama get put on the backburner. But I should take your advice, as I want to go as all natural as possible with remedies. Glad it worked out for you!