Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Looking Back, What's Your Advice?

Default Looking Back, What's Your Advice?

Hello Ladies

LO is just over 9 weeks old now and doing great!! She was 12.2lbs at her 2 month doctor's visit.

For those who have been here, done this - looking back, what advice would you give to you, when LO was 9 weeks old? What do you wish you had known then that you know now? What do we have to face and what challenges are still on their way? It could be BF or parenting or both. I'd love to hear from you all.
    Mommy to our DD1 early bird (34 weeks, 2 days, 7lbs, 14oz)! Oct. 2nd, 2008 Emergency C-Section, Frank Breech, HEALTHY Girl!
    Weaned @ 17 months
    Our DD2 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 12oz) Aug. 10th, 2010 Our Successful VBAC, growing like a bad weed!
    Weaned @ 15 months
    Our DD3 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 6oz) Feb. 16th, 2012 Our 2nd VBAC and lightening speedy birth!

Loving being a Mom of 3, 40 months apart!!
    and

Default Re: Looking Back, What's Your Advice?

Glad to hear you're doing so well! Congrats! Hold and snuggle that baby as much as possible! The days go by fast!
    Renee
    LLL Leader

One thing that I didn't do until some brought it up to me was to really enjoy (and I mean really enjoy) night time feedings. I used to dread them and then someone said that those are really the only moments where its you and baby and no other distractions and you can look into eachother's eyes and just bond without worrying about the dishes or laundry or other kids or your partner etc... And that's the one thing that I started doing immediately and continued to cherish until DS1 weaned at the end of my pregnancy with DS2. Even now when he wakes up at night (we co-sleep)- I thoroughly enjoy the bonding moment.
    Mari
    Mohamed 6-9-06
    Jad 11-27-08

I would take more time to enjoy my baby, instead of trying to "get things done". Even just watching my baby nurse instead of catching up on my professional reading during the nursing session.

DS is 1yo, and I realize there will always be more chores to do, but those baby moments are SO precious and fleeting.
    Imma to AA, born at home 11/12/07 , juggling , working, APing , cloth diapering , - and . I'm done - yay!

http://bf.lilypie.com/KmpEm6.png

Oh how i love this question ..

1.purchase a sling you can use to nurse in if you want to get anything done or actually eat a meal
    2. learn to nurse on your side and accept the idea of co-sleeping so you can get some rest
    3. never worry about the clock and just nurse on demand

I agree w/ the PP. Cherish it. It goes too fast. There's always gonna be cleaning to do. Or hire a maid! Listen to your gut. You know your LO better than anyone. Trust yourself to make the best decisions for YOUR child. Don't discuss parenting choices with others unless you're prepared for lots of unsolicited advice. Sleep when baby sleeps! Take lots of pics, especially BFing pics, before you LO gets old enough to be distracted by the camera! Write stuff down for the baby book, even if you have to do it on scratch paper at first. Sleep deprivation takes its toll and you will forget things you would never expect!

Be prepared to BF quite often ..probably at least until solids are introduced sometime after six months. Even then usually every 3-4 hours for a while Just know that it gets easier as time goes by & that you're doing a wonderful thing.

Follow your instincts ..journal.. take lots of pics - like other Mama's said.

Get a nice baby wearing apparatus that you prefer & use it often. The right one is so important & I wouldn't trade mine for the world. (I have an Ergo.)

Research and seek information related to any troubles & questions that you may have. ie. co sleeping..vaccines..nutrition..etc Be informed!

Get your baby on a routine - at least partly if not fully & it should help make both you & her happier most of the time.

Everyone says enjoy every minute for a reason because it really does fly by! Before you know it -you will be planning their 1st bithday

"Children reinvent your world for you." Susan Sarandon

with pp's and I'll add:
    Do not ever underestimate just how smart babies are. You truly can start teaching them things at a young age.
    Our blessings from God!
    Kylee was born September, 2006 - 9 lbs. 12 1/2 oz, 21 inches long.
    Kiefer was born January, 2008 - 6 lbs. 14 oz, 19 1/2 inches long.
    He was diagnosed with a severe peanut allergy at 12 1/2 months old. Others later discovered.
    And I am even more blessed by being married to my best friend and the most honorable man I've ever known.

"The hand that rocks the cradle rules the world." - Abraham Lincoln

There is a reason I chose this quote for my signature:

For each and every one of us, the person from whom we can learn the most is our own baby: listen to him. - Mary White, LLL co-founder

This statement is so true at every stage I have encountered thus far. If we just relax and listen to what our lo is trying to tell us we can learn so much about meeting their needs and our own.
    Proud mom of 2 boys, both weaned gradually and with love.

Find a local LLL leader

For each and every one of us, the person from whom we can learn the most is our own baby: listen to him. - Mary White, LLL co-founder

The best-kept secret in child psychology is that children who were never spanked are among the best behaved."
    Murray Straus, Ph.D.

Just wanted to add something. You know those sweet, heavenly humming sounds your LO makes when she has a full, satisfied tummy? They do not do that for long, so enjoy each moment you hear them. That is one of my favorite memories of nursing both my kids. There is nothing like hearing that humming noise and knowing it was my body that made them so content and happy.
    Our blessings from God!
    Kylee was born September, 2006 - 9 lbs. 12 1/2 oz, 21 inches long.
    Kiefer was born January, 2008 - 6 lbs. 14 oz, 19 1/2 inches long.
    He was diagnosed with a severe peanut allergy at 12 1/2 months old. Others later discovered.
    And I am even more blessed by being married to my best friend and the most honorable man I've ever known.

"The hand that rocks the cradle rules the world." - Abraham Lincoln