Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: weaning from breast to breast milk in bottle

Smile weaning from breast to breast milk in bottle

Looking for suggestions with weaning my almost 2 mo. son from my breast to just a bottle with breast milk.. Right now my schedule does not totally need me to do it. But I work from 4-9pm mon. wed. thurs. and sat. 9-5 and my fiance has him during that time. He takes a bottle fine just don't know if it is to confusing for him. This will be his first time being with dad all day long. I am totally ok with pumping and feeding him. when i go back to work normal hours it will be 2, 10-12hr. days and a 4-9 night and a 8 hour sat. so 3 days i will be home all day and one day only missing one feeding..
    Krue our first was born on oct. 14, 2008 8.6lbs. and 21 1/2 in. I have been and .
    1 month 10.9 and 23 1/4
    2 months 13 and 24 1/4
    3 months 14.6
    4 months 16.7 and 26 1/2
    5 months 17.12

Default Re: weaning from breast to breast milk in bottle

Hi mama... you don't have to wean your LO at all. Since you will be missing very few of his feedings, you can just pump your breasts when you are away from him, then have your fiance feed him that milk the next day you are gone. Ok, I hope that makes sense! For example, if you work on Monday and Wednesday, you would pump on Monday, then on Wednesday feed your LO the milk you pumped on Monday, etc. Breastmilk is good in the fridge for up to 8 days, so no worries about keeping it in there for a couple days until it is fed to your LO.

You can still nurse your LO when the two of you are together, and it will be SOOO much easier than exclusively pumping and never putting him to your breast. Trust me! There are so many mamas here who HAVE to pump because their LO won't latch, and they would be so grateful if they could just get their LO to feed directly from their breast.

I pumped for my LO while I was at work, then I nursed her when we were together and she wasn't confused by this setup at all. LOTS of moms do it, and so can you!!!

Good luck mama, I hope this helps!!

Buff
    IRL all my friends call me Buff, Wife to CB since 10/11/2003

Mom to DD - "MJ" born 9/2007 @ 8lbs 10oz, 21.5" She's 6 years old!
    My journey nursing MJ started HERE, but we got through it and she breastfed 19.5 months, self-weaned on 5/17/09

Mom to my current nursling, DS - "ME" born 10/2009 @ 10lbs 1oz, 22.25" He's 4 years old! And yup, he's still nursing.

Ask me about my successful VBAC! Click here for my birth story.

I agree with buff24, from what you've told us, it sounds like you could continue to nurse. Is there a reason that we're missing that you are concerned you might need to wean to fulltime bottle feeding?

If nursing and bottle feeding is going well, then there really isn't any need to change it. My dd did just fine nursing at home with me and taking a bottle from the dcp. I always hated the thought of more bottles and pump parts to wash anyway.

Breastfeeding/nursing is a GREAT way for a working mother to reconnect with her baby after a work day and so relaxing. I can remember how much I loved getting home, putting my feet up, and snuggling with my lo for a few minutes, while she nursed. I think that could not be replaced with the added stress of pumping while she toddled around the house taking pictures off shelves.

Erin
    Wife to a grizzly
    Mama to my little deer (12/05) my loving bear cub (9/07--), and our little tiger (3/22/10)
    Born by one c-section and 2 amazing VBACs

Miles in 2012: 350.5/900 (Actual Miles Ran: 189)
    Miles in 2011: 708.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 509)
    Miles in 2010: 800.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 620)

January Miles: 37.5/75
    February Miles: 59/75
    March Miles: 42.5/60
    April Miles: 64
    May Miles: 41/70
    June Miles: 59
    July Miles: 39.5

227.5 miles on my new shoes
    338 miles on my old shoes

ITA...I worked full time and nursed. It is possible.. My lo did just fine. Has he had his first bottle? If he does well with that then he will be fine.
    Married mama with 4 kiddos...2 girls (11 & 6) and 2 boys (21mo & 3mo)

Post Re: weaning from breast to breast milk in bottle

So yesterday I went to work for 8hrs. And from the minute I left he cried would not sleep, but he would eat from the bottle.. From what I heard he tried everything from walking to changing his diaper constantly to a car ride that worked until he got home. He finally went to his aunts house around 3 and then he was ok till I got there.. I just feel bad for the both of them.. Don't know what to do??
    Krue our first was born on oct. 14, 2008 8.6lbs. and 21 1/2 in. I have been and .
    1 month 10.9 and 23 1/4
    2 months 13 and 24 1/4
    3 months 14.6
    4 months 16.7 and 26 1/2
    5 months 17.12

Exclamation Re: weaning from breast to breast milk in bottle

Wondering if anyone has any suggestions to yesterday?? Also I had Nick take care of him tonight during the time he would be at home with him, same thing nothing but screaming crying!! Wondering if just switching to bottle feeding would help the situation or any other suggestions!! I feel bad for Nick he is feeling that he doesn't want to be with him, and he is just getting stressed himself trying to deal with it.
    1 month 10.9 and 23 1/4
    2 months 13 and 24 1/4
    3 months 14.6
    4 months 16.7 and 26 1/2
    5 months 17.12

was that the first day of him taking care of your lo? If it is, I would just give it time.
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet

The first few weeks are tough, doesn't matter what he's used to eating from. If your DH is taking care of him while your there it probably won't work because your baby does not understand why mom won't feed him. He knows your there, they always do! He's smart!

IMO this would be a bad time to take away the breast, I really think it would just make it worse right now. There is a lot of transition going on in his life, and nursing can be that security that he goes back to at the end of the day.

He and Dad will figure out how to work together. It won't happen right away because they are both new at this. Maybe if he got a sling to wear him in that might be really helpful since he's so little. Can your DH bring him to work for you to nurse on a break or at lunch? That might help and would also save you a pumping session.

Exclamation Re: weaning from breast to breast milk in bottle

Not the first time of him taking care of him. He does fine for anyone else but him. LO has gone to his grandmas for two whole days and he was perfectly content.. He can't bring him to nurse I work a half hour away and I do hair so i don't leave anytimes for breaks i leave just enough time to go and pump...

I think he just gets so worked up (dad) that he cant calm down and either can lo. He is a worrier big time and he will research every thing not that it is bad but he believes everything he reads and i tell him all baby's are different.

My concerns are is screaming all day is that good? I know they need to cry and all that i get worried too cuz he will txt me at work and go on and on and that don't make me feel good either cuz i don't know what to tell him anymore..
    For tonight he was just taking care of him in between feeding time and thats pretty much all he did was cry. I went to the bedroom cuz i want them to connect and get something to work. Then we constantly get in arguments cuz i try to give suggestions or tell him what to do and he snaps back, which makes me snap and then i just end up taking the lo cuz i know he will calm down for me..
    1 month 10.9 and 23 1/4
    2 months 13 and 24 1/4
    3 months 14.6
    4 months 16.7 and 26 1/2
    5 months 17.12