Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: question about raynauds

Default question about raynauds

It appears that I have raynaud's phenomenon and I was just wondering if it would go away. I think I had it with my son and it did go away, but I'm not sure if that's what it was or not. Now, with my daughter, I'm fairly certain that's what it is. Is there anyone who had it not go away?
    Jillian
    Mommy to ...
    Ella (11/03/04)
    Owen (03/29/07)
    Cate (11/17/08)

Default Re: question about raynauds

There is a difference between vasospasm caused by Raynaud's vs. nipple compression/trauma. So I think the first step would be determining which kind you have. Here is some more info: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...blanching.html
    Karen

Proud mama to
    Kaitlyn Ann 12/23/07 - 7 lbs., 15 oz.
    11/09
    Jackson Thomas 1/16/11 - 9 lbs., 3 oz.

i've already seen a lactation consultant and we've determined it looks like it is raynauds
    Jillian
    Mommy to ...
    Ella (11/03/04)
    Owen (03/29/07)
    Cate (11/17/08)

I'm not sure if it goes away or not but they say to avoid the cold, caffiene & to apply warm compresses after nursing to help with the pain.
    Renee
    LLL Leader

I've had it my whole life but it never bothered me so much as when I was first BFing. It made it extremely painful for the first few months, but my body adjusted to my nipples' new role and it gradually got less painful. By about 6 months (maybe earlier, I don't remember), I think my nipples stopped turning all shades of the rainbow after nursing. At first, they would be pure white directly after nursing, then go through deep purple and red before returning to their normal color. The best way to deal with it is using heat packs like microwavable packs (the chemical ones make me nervous, but I have one with barley inside) or hot water bottles or even warm wash cloths, and hold them on the breast after nursing if possible. Failing that, even my husband's warm hands made a huge difference! My own hands are always like ice. Also, warm baths help circulation - keep breasts submerged or covered with a couple of warm wash clothes on each breast. Good luck!
    Emma

J from Aug '06 to Nov '08 and S from April 2009

thanks so much!
    Jillian
    Mommy to ...
    Ella (11/03/04)
    Owen (03/29/07)
    Cate (11/17/08)