Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: I want to give up! Need encouragment

Default I want to give up! Need encouragment

Hi ladies,
    I need serious encouragement! I have been struggling with over supply and under supply issues for 5 months with my lo. She has had green mucousy stools all this week and has been very uncomfortable. I can't seem to get her my hind milk -- if she doesn't get the hind milk, I feel like I just want to give up. It seems so pointless! It isn't good for her to only have the fore milk, is it? Would it be better to switch to formula if I can't get my supply under control? I LOVE breast feeding, but if it isn't good for my lo - I just feel SOOOO discouraged. Should I keep it up, even if she continues to have the green stools??????

I'm Erica

Mommy to "C" - currently 3 and half years old
    - nursed for one year

and mommy to "M" - currently 2 years old
    - nursed for 23 months

Wife to my handsome DH for 5 and a half years!

Default Re: I want to give up! Need encouragment

I can't think of a time where breast milk would not be good for baby. Here is a link about foremilk and hindmilk. I would suggest hand expressing until you have the first let down, then feeding.

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/fo...-hindmilk.html
    Married mama with 4 kiddos...2 girls (11 & 6) and 2 boys (21mo & 3mo)

Forgive me for not knowing what you've tried - but are you familiar with block feeding? If so how long had you tried it?

Have you tried eliminating foods from your diet to see if the color is due to that?
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

Foremilk is still better than formula! You said you've had undersupply. Can you describe when you have undersupply and when you have oversupply? I had a severe oversupply problem after ds was born, but it leveled out around 7 months. Its hard to be patient with wet shirts and runny diapers. I can give you some advice, if you can let me know a little more about yoru feeding pattern--when, how often, etc?

Erin
    Wife to a grizzly
    Mama to my little deer (12/05) my loving bear cub (9/07--), and our little tiger (3/22/10)
    Born by one c-section and 2 amazing VBACs

Miles in 2012: 350.5/900 (Actual Miles Ran: 189)
    Miles in 2011: 708.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 509)
    Miles in 2010: 800.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 620)

January Miles: 37.5/75
    February Miles: 59/75
    March Miles: 42.5/60
    April Miles: 64
    May Miles: 41/70
    June Miles: 59
    July Miles: 39.5

227.5 miles on my new shoes
    338 miles on my old shoes

Green frothy stools are a more common side effect of oversupply. Mucousy stools can be connected to a food sensitivity. Breastfeeding is far superior to formula even if you are having issues now, your baby will grow & the both of you will adjust giving her the best possible start to life! Here is a link to oversupply issues.

Thanks for the tips. I really appreciate the encouragement. I was so ready to give up because she is 5 months and we are still struggling. But I will keep going!

I have tried block feeding, but only for 3 or 6 hours. My problem is that I can't pump at work the same way that she feeds. I have a very busy work schedule (I'm a teacher) that only allows me one pumping session a day. So - I actually get more milk out from the pump than what she would do nursing - hence the oversupply.

I'm going to try to switch my pumping schedule by hand expressing instead of pumping and try to keep block feeding.

Thanks again for the encouragement!

I'm Erica

- nursed for one year

- nursed for 23 months

If you're having an oversupply problem, you may want to back off of the pumping a bit - just enough to keep yourself comfortable and take the pressure off. A full pumping would only encourage more production. You'll get there.
    Mommy to our DD1 early bird (34 weeks, 2 days, 7lbs, 14oz)! Oct. 2nd, 2008 Emergency C-Section, Frank Breech, HEALTHY Girl!
    Weaned @ 17 months
    Our DD2 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 12oz) Aug. 10th, 2010 Our Successful VBAC, growing like a bad weed!
    Weaned @ 15 months
    Our DD3 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 6oz) Feb. 16th, 2012 Our 2nd VBAC and lightening speedy birth!

Loving being a Mom of 3, 40 months apart!!
    and

Hang in there! We are at the same stage with our babies and we are still having major oversupply issues. We go through weeks of green poop and then yellow, I have been trying to just ignore the colors since he is still gaining weight. I have wanted to give up to but the idea of giving my son formula instead of breast milk makes me suffer through it and I have hated every second of breastfeeding. Stick with it.. it will be worth it for your baby.

Thanks so much.

it really helps to have someone else in the same boat.

DH is very patient and kind, but it's not the same.

Hoping that you will pass through this stage too, very soon!

I'm Erica

- nursed for one year

- nursed for 23 months