Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Need Advice....

Default Need Advice....

Hi Ladies! I'm new here but I wanted to get some advice... My son Liam is gonna be 7 weeks tomorrow and we've had a tough time with the whole nursing thing. I started out using nipple shields because my nipples were super flat and after about 3 weeks of using those and pumping a ton, I was able to get him to latch on to my breast without the shield. Yay! Well he's been nursing great since then but about a week ago he's started latching on and nursing for about 2 or 3 mins and then getting fussy and yanking his head back (while still attached to my nipple....OUCH!) and then needing to burp. I burp him...sometimes he burps, sometimes not. Then I'll latch him on again, he'll feed for a few more mins and then the same drill. He's not feeding for very long but he's seemed to get more efficient at nursing and is sucking harder and draining more in a shorter amount of time. I just don't know what to do. I want to keep him latched on so he gets a full feed. After having to feed him in several short chunks, my let down is all screwed up, and my nipples are killing me. I eventually just give up and wait to feed him in a few hours. Also, because of the strange feeds all day, when it comes time for his nighttime feeding he nurses for a while and then does the same fussiness so i've been giving up and giving him a formula bottle for the last few nights to help fill him up because he's still hungry because i don't have enough milk for him. This seems to be adversly affecting my supply and so I've been pumping as much as I can in addition to his feeds to keep up the supply as much as possible and taking Fenugreek.
    Any advice you ladies can give me would be helpfull. I'm really confused.

Thanks!
    Last edited by @llli*sophie1982; December 5th, 2008 at 12:38 AM.

Default Re: Need Advice....

Here's a great link on fussiness during nursing: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...e-nursing.html

Maybe something there will sound familiar? It could be a lot of things... but you're right in that babies do get a lot more efficient at the breast as they get older!
    Karen

Proud mama to
    Kaitlyn Ann 12/23/07 - 7 lbs., 15 oz.
    11/09
    Jackson Thomas 1/16/11 - 9 lbs., 3 oz.

I'm sure it's hard, especially at night, but the more bottles you give him the lower your supply will be. Breastmilk is supply and demand. I would try to hang in there as much as possible. Have you tried different positions (i.e. cradle, cross cradle, side lying, football)? Some babies do seem to swallow air & a more upright position can be helpful for this. Also, have you noticed that he pulls off when your milk comes in? This is common with a small baby b/c they can't quite handle the flow of milk. It's ok to take him off the breast when the milk comes in & let it run into a towel for a minute until it isn't quite so forceful... Hope some of this has helped! It really will get easier as he gets older!
    Renee
    LLL Leader

I have tried different positions and it doesn't seem to be helping. I'm thinking that his sucking reflex is causing him problems because he's been way more gassy and he's not sucking well at a bottle either. I put in a call to my lactation consultant so hopefully she can help me figure this out. I refuse to give up if I can possibly help it. I think that your right though that the let down is a little too forcefull for him. I'll try letting some leak out so its not too strong before I let him feed. Thanks again!

Hi! My baby used to do that very same, pull & fuss routine. Like they've told you , it could a forcefull let-down, I know that was the case with my DD. Now, I must tell you, if you want to keep your supply in order to fully bf, you shoulnd't supplement. I know it's hard and all you want is to sleep, but how about you feed lying down? My lo is going through a stage where she'll feed for a while then she'll get bored and then feed again... And at nights i just pull a boob out, she'll latch whenever and I get to rest!

Hang in there!! It's doable
    Love is not consolation. It is light. -Friedrich Nietzsche

I'm Irys, going thru the struggles of being a mom, wife, student, daughter...
    But am hanging on!!!

Mom to K, born August 16th, 2008
    Expecting A April 7th, 2010

Good! Glad you called the LC. Hang in there!
    Renee
    LLL Leader

My baby used to do that, and still does some times. I read some where to make sure his head was above the breast instead of below. This seems to allow him to control the flow of the milk better, I noticed that when he would pull off milk would be dripping down his face. I think I have a little bit of a forceful letdown. It makes a big difference if I lean back. I always wondered why he did not have a problem in the middle of the night. I sit in a rocking chair leaned all teh way back. His head is usually higher then. Dont give up. I thought about giving up several times, probably every day three tiems a day for about one and a half months. I was always worried that he was not getting enough food.