Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Pumping schedule and working?

Default Pumping schedule and working?

My DD is 6 months old. She was exclusively BF'd for 4 months, then we added cereal to her diet twice a day. Monday, we started with veggies in the evenings.
    I pump at work, and at home, and I also BF her in the AM before work, and up to three times in the evenings. I am BFing a lot to keep my supply going.

My schedule is:

6AM - BF
    9AM - Pump @ work
    12PM - Pump @ work
    3PM - Pump @ work
    5PM - BF
    7PM or 8PM - BF
    10PM - Pump @ home (keeping up supply)
    12 or 1 AM - Wake up and pump @ home

I would like to cut back on pumping at work. I am not sure if there is anything that I can do...AND keep up the supply that I have going. My goal is to BF for a year. she's not showing any signs of wanting to wean, and my supply seems to be okay...she drinks about 3 bottles at day care, and I pump around four daily (including the night pumpings). I don't mind getting up in the middle of the night to pump, but pumping at work can be an issue - I have several meetings that I am in and out of all day, and it's a rough scedule to try and work around.

Any thoughts? I know ultimately that if I want to keep the supply up, I need to keep pumpin'.

Thanks!!!

Default Re: Pumping schedule and working?

I will be having a similar schedule to yours when I go back in September after my vacation with my daughter being almost 6 months. Unfortunatly, I will be forgoing nighttime pumping and gritting my teeth while I pump at work the exact schedule you described. If you don't have any supply issues and can pump enough during the day you really shouldn't need to wake up to pump at night. It seems like you would need to pump every three hours during the day to keep up your supply, and nurse on demand the remainder of the time. No help here, really, just letting you know I know how it feels to have to pump at work. A drag. I'm sure others will have some better input.

Quote Originally Posted by Julie
    I don't mind getting up in the middle of the night to pump, but pumping at work can be an issue - I have several meetings that I am in and out of all day, and it's a rough scedule to try and work around.
    Julie--it seems that you are asking whether or not you can cut out a work pump session rather than a night pumping session? I have not tried what you are suggesting, but I do pump at work. I don't pump at all at home, although in the beginning I did.

Quote Originally Posted by Julie
    she drinks about 3 bottles at day care, and I pump around four daily
    It also sounds like you are pumping one extra bottle a day. Are you freezing the extra milk? If so, how much do you have stockpiled?

First, from what I have read, you stimulate more prolactin in the night than during the day and prolactin helps you to maintain supply (someone correct me if this is wrong). If you were to cut out a pumping session, and you don't mind getting up to pump (your lo must sleep through the night?), then the night session would be a good one to quit.

Second, if you are like me, you pump way more in the morning (which is fairly common) than you do in the afternoon. If that's the case, you might be able to quit the afternoon session. You would have to play that by ear and see what happens to your supply. Be ready to add it back in. Also be ready to only see 3 bottles a day instead of 4, and be ready to maybe dip into your freezer supply.

I can honestly say that pumping gets really old!!! So I feel for you in a big way!!!

Thanks for the insights!!!

Yeah, she's been sleeping through the night for a while, and I only started to pump at night when I went back to work, for fear of supply issues.

I might wait to change anything until she been on solids a bit longer, and we add another meal (lunch) to her day. Right now, she's still only eating cereal/veggies twice a day.

Thanks again!!!

I am able to get by on pumping 2x per day at work. DS is 5 months and I've been back at work for the past 3 months. Pumping 2x/day hasn't affected my supply, thankfully. And I do usually pump more in the morning than the afternoon.

My schedule looks something like this:
    5am - nurse
    7am - nurse
    9:30am - pump at work
    1:30pm - pump at work
    5pm - nurse
    7:30pm - nurse
    (and an occasional middle of the night feeding session)

I say we mommies give ourselves a big pat on the back for continuing to breastfeed while working. It's a lot of work but worth it!
    Mommy to William, 4/29/09, 7 lbs 13 oz, 21 inches.
    Mommy to Evan, 3/18/06. 7 lbs 3 oz, 21 1/4 inches.
    Nursed both boys to 14 months
    Birth Doula
    Wisconsin!

My daughter was exclusively BF for 6 months, but I started PT work when she was about 3.5 months, and went FT when she was six months.

Up until last week my schedule was:

5 am- pump one side (4-5 oz)
    5:30-6:00 am BF (other side)
    12 pm pump @ work
    3:30 pm pump @ work
    6pm BF
    7:30pm BF
    3 am BF (until she was 10 months! where do you ladies get these babies who sleep through the night at such an early age?)

I found the 5 am pumping produced a bounty of milk just from one breast and the two pumps at work fit nicely into my schedule since one of them was during my lunch hour. Between the three pump sessions I was able to produce 4 4-5oz bottles (she usually only took 3 bottles at daycare but I left them with one for emerg.)

I never really had a supply issue (except for one week when I was really sick). I drink Mother's Milk tea daily (2-3 cups) and I swear by this stuff!

I don't think you need to wake up and pump at night. Your body will adjust and you will be able to produce enough milk. Getting enough sleep is probably more important to your milk supply than pumping in the wee hours.

DD is 13 months now and I just dropped the late afternoon pump (introducing cow's milk). And guess what? My body has adjusted already! Our bodies are so amazing!

Yes the prolactin builds up in our sleep but I was told that happens night pump or not. My chunkey monkey still eats at night once and then when i get up to shower. I was also told not to cut the late afternoon because if you do then then evening feedings will be more demanding on your body. Pumping doesnt stimulate as much prolactin, I dont think, but it does some because your body will replace the milk you take out. So the afternoon pump is kind of a connector pumping so to speak. I dont know if there is anything you can take with you to the pump room/mother room but I noticed someone that had a holder thing on today. its just a band that wraps around with holes that just fit the small end of the breast sheild. it was kinda cool but the girl that had it said it was kinda pricey but worth it so she could work and pump.

Quote Originally Posted by Maya's Mom
    I don't think you need to wake up and pump at night. Your body will adjust and you will be able to produce enough milk. Getting enough sleep is probably more important to your milk supply than pumping in the wee hours.
    I've just returned to work and also pumping 2 or 3x a day - depending if I have the time or have to be away at long meetings! I pump at 3am and am hoping to cut the night pump. However, I'm hesitant as I'm proned to getting plugged ducts. I missed pumping at 3am one time and when I woke up, my breasts were very engorged and hard!

My DS is now 3+ months and he still wakes up at least 2x every night to nurse. Despite the nursing at night, I find I still need to pump at 3am to relieve the engorgement. I think it's probably because my DS nurses very little, each time only on one side and for an average of only 5 mins! So I guess there's still plenty of milk left which builds up through the night. If I stop pumping at 3am, do you think my body will gradually adjust and produce lesser milk in the night over time?

I would stretch it out to every 4 hours during the day, so pump at 10 and at 2. That's what I did and it hasn't seemed to make much difference in the amount, especially once my body got used to it. If you have more milk in the mornings you might want to make it 9:30 and 1:30-2. I found that 3 times at work just wasn't doable for me either.
    Margaret and
    DS 2/06 nursed x1yr
    and DD 3/08, so far so good!

I'm glad I joined this forum (I've never done this before) bc I was just considering giving up; although I really don't want to. I just returned to work on Friday and pumping and keeping up with my daughter has been challenging, but I'll try some of the posted schedules to see if that works for me My daughter is only 7wks and nurses often when we are together. I pump at work at least twice; once in the am and once in the pm. I haven't pumped at home since she nurses so often, but she is starting to sleep most of the night, so I could pump then. Thanks ladies, I now have hope