Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Spitting up blood

Default Spitting up blood

DS2 was born on Thanksgiving- Monday he threw up what I would call "tons" of blood (as in soaked his outfit, ruined a visitor's sweater, covered a receiving blanket and coated the floor) about a half hour after he ate. Went to the ER where they determined that it was my cracked nipple that caused this- it didn't hurt that bad when nursing him and the crack didn't look all that bad, but when I saw the LC at the hospital, she said it was really deep (she even gently separated the two sides of the crack so I could see how deep it was).
    So, the remedy was no nursing on that side until it healed completely, pump and dump (since the baby can't digest the blood in the milk and they'll throw it up). 48 hours later and lots of multi-purpose niplle ointment, I put him back on that side. It's the flatter of two and it's still hard to get him to latch, but by moving the position each time and limiting how long he comfort sucks, it seems to be under control

Long story short- does this sound familiar to anyone? I just can't imagine that he got enough blood out of one crack in my nipple to throw up that much blood...
    Mari
    Mohamed 6-9-06
    Jad 11-27-08

Default Re: Spitting up blood

I think the appearance of blood in breastmilk can be deceptive. A little bit of blood can turn your milk alarmingly pink. What color was the spit-up? If it was deep red I would be concerned that it wasn't related to the cracked nipple, b/c if milk was coming out at the same time as the blood it should have been diluted.
    Karen

Proud mama to
    Kaitlyn Ann 12/23/07 - 7 lbs., 15 oz.
    11/09
    Jackson Thomas 1/16/11 - 9 lbs., 3 oz.

This does sound somewhat familiar. As the PP said, it only takes a small amount of milk to tint your milk a really shocking color. I once pumped some that was pepto bismal pink, and after a day in the fridge, the blood settled to the bottom of the bottle and there was probably half an ounce of it.

As the PP said, if your baby's thrown-up meal was only pink, tinged with blood, that's a very different story from it being bright red and full of blood.

I think the LC's advice is good advice. And please don't worry that the trouble you're having with the flat-nipple, cracked side will last forever. As your baby grows, his mouth and tongue will grow and he'll be able to latch on more deeply. When that happens, the cracking should go away. Also, the longer you nurse, the more likely it is that the flat nipple won't be so flat any more. Mine used to be flattish, and now they are erect all the time.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I know exactly (well kind of ) what you went through. My ds went throught the same thing around thanksgiving when he was 6 months old. He didnt vomit a ton of blood at one time, but was consistently spitting up blood for 2 days before we finally took him to the ER. they diagnosed us with the same thing just cracked nipples, that i didnt even realize were cracked, except for the pain because it was on the sides and you had to pull on my nipple to see it !! It definitely is scary !! My ds also had some black poop after because he did digest some of the blood, did that happen to you too ? We are all better now though. I try and use them cream when he starts to get more teeth, he has 5 now, because I notive he gets aggressive when nursing when he is teething and i start to get sore. Now its just prevention....best of luck !!
    Wife to Jeff since 2001

Mommy to Alexis - April 16, 2003
    Mommy to Zoey - August 24, 2004

Mommy to Owen- May 11, 2008- My Mother's Day Gift !!

= Loving my family of 5

= love to cook !!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*missmari View Post
    DS2 was born on Thanksgiving- Monday he threw up what I would call "tons" of blood (as in soaked his outfit, ruined a visitor's sweater, covered a receiving blanket and coated the floor) about a half hour after he ate. Went to the ER where they determined that it was my cracked nipple that caused this- it didn't hurt that bad when nursing him and the crack didn't look all that bad, but when I saw the LC at the hospital, she said it was really deep (she even gently separated the two sides of the crack so I could see how deep it was).
    So, the remedy was no nursing on that side until it healed completely, pump and dump (since the baby can't digest the blood in the milk and they'll throw it up). 48 hours later and lots of multi-purpose niplle ointment, I put him back on that side. It's the flatter of two and it's still hard to get him to latch, but by moving the position each time and limiting how long he comfort sucks, it seems to be under control

Long story short- does this sound familiar to anyone? I just can't imagine that he got enough blood out of one crack in my nipple to throw up that much blood...
    I'm so sorry to hear you all are going through this... If your baby isn't well, then breastfeeding will be the best thing for him.

It sounds as if your mommy instincts aren't satisfied with what the doctors & LC told you... You might consider getting a second opinion to be on the safe side, especially from your ped.

take care,
    Carla
    LLL Leader