Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Not enough wets now that I'm working?

Default Not enough wets now that I'm working?

Hi again,
    I just started back to work this week. To make the transition easier for us, I'm going back part-time (3 days / week) for the month of December. We were never successful in introducing the bottle to LO when he was younger so it's been a challenge for my mom and sister who are watching him. He will refuse the bottle completely for the first 6 hours I'm gone. Then he'll take about 2 ounces and that's it. I get off at 3pm and am home by 4pm.

I'm not sure if it's the stress of the whole thing, but he's not eating well at night either. I've read everywhere that they'll make it up when I get home, but that doesn't seem to be the case with us. I don't think we're getting enough wets.

Should I give him a few more days before getting worried? Should I just offer the breast more often?

Thanks for the input

Default Re: Not enough wets now that I'm working?

How many wets are you getting?

If you get a diaper count and think it's too low, you could always call the pedi for advice. In the meantime I would probably offer the breast pretty often when you are together just to be sure.

Have you tried experimenting with different bottles? My LO started refusing her bottle that she had been taking for months, and once we switched to a different brand she would take it again.
    Karen

Proud mama to
    Kaitlyn Ann 12/23/07 - 7 lbs., 15 oz.
    11/09
    Jackson Thomas 1/16/11 - 9 lbs., 3 oz.

We were getting 5-6 wets a day. Now he's only wetting 3 on days that I've been working. On my off days, he's wetting about 4 diapers. My mom thinks he's just stressed from the change. He and I have never been apart for more than 2 hours at a time until now. My husband and I leave the house around 6am and we're back around 4pm. I always try and give him the breast before I leave so that he'll stay asleep longer. He used to wake up around 830am but with my mom and sister, he's getting up around 7am unless they carry him to sleep until 830ish.

I think he's decided he likes this nipple that we've been using. It's the one that they sent us home with from the hospital. We went through a few other nipples which he would just bite and sort of chew on (ie Medela, Dr Brown, Advent, Breastflow). We noticed the longer the nipple, the more he chews. The one from the hospital is really boring and he doesn't chew on it. He just pushes it out when he won't drink. Then he'll take 2 ounces with that one once he's decided he's starving enough which has been around 2pm. I could tell my family to try to feed him with a different nipple every so often. Do you think that would make a difference?

We're home today and he's taking the breast every time I offer it. I'm afraid it'll be worse before it gets better. As anyone gone through this transition and had a similar experience? What did you do to help make it smoother for LO?

Unhappy Re: Not enough wets now that I'm working?

I AM HAVING THE SAME PROBLEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I just started back to work 4 days a week in December to help with the transition. My baby is almost 5 mths old and will not eat. She is staying with my aunt from 10 until 5 when my hubby get off and gets her.

WE have tried all nibbles, she just chews on them and pushes them out. Milk leaks everywhere. The most she has ate was 2 ounces. When I get home she does not seem to eat to catch up so I am unsure if she is eating enough. I change her diaper every 2 hours even if it is still dry so I never counted wet diapers.

It is so hard to eat lunch when your baby is not eating. And of course, I feel like a bad mother leaving her.

And, even though breast milk is best, I kinda regret breast feeding now.

sorry your both having a hard time.
    ITs a big adjustment for them..
    have you tried a straw?
    You can put your finger over one end after you've dipeed in the milk
    and then let them sort of lick if off the end of the straw.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*dylans.mom View Post
    Hi again,
    I just started back to work this week. To make the transition easier for us, I'm going back part-time (3 days / week) for the month of December. We were never successful in introducing the bottle to LO when he was younger so it's been a challenge for my mom and sister who are watching him. He will refuse the bottle completely for the first 6 hours I'm gone. Then he'll take about 2 ounces and that's it. I get off at 3pm and am home by 4pm.

I'm not sure if it's the stress of the whole thing, but he's not eating well at night either. I've read everywhere that they'll make it up when I get home, but that doesn't seem to be the case with us. I don't think we're getting enough wets.

Should I give him a few more days before getting worried? Should I just offer the breast more often?

Thanks for the input
    How old is your baby? Is he old enough to try a sippy cup? I think it will probably take some time to transition. He is probably stressed from this new schedule, but over time he should adjust. Your mother/sister can also try giving him your milk in a small flexible cup, syringe or eye dropper. Keep offering the breast as much as you can when you're together in the evenings and throughout the night. Here are some other mother's stories of bottle refusal. This may also help.
    Renee
    LLL Leader

I'm sorry I have company but our LOs will hopefully get used to us being gone.

My LO is just over 5 months old. He can definitely drink out of the bottle but just plain refuses it. Today, he took an ounce shortly after I left for work but that was it until I got home. My poor mom is trying so hard not to freak out.

Do they really make it up when we get home? I pumped 7 ounces total in 2 sessions today but I'm having a hard time figuring out how he's "making up" those 7 ounces when I get home.

We've noticed that his fingers aren't as "plump" as they used to be. We have a sippy cup. I'll ask them to try that on Monday. I'll also purchase a syringe this tomorrow just in case too.

Thanks for the support everyone. I'm just feeling really awful watching him go through this. Napping is another issue too ... *sigh*