Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: block feeding questions

Default block feeding questions

I have been dealing with oversupply and OALD for a couple of weeks now. I have been block feeding by only offering one breast per feeding (so its a 2 to 3 hour block depending on the time of day). It seems that the oversupply might be getting better - I am not getting painfullly full between feedings nor am I leaking anymore. However, the OALD seems to be the same. Can you have OALD without oversupply or do the two go hand in hand?

If I still have OALD should I increase the block - go to 4 hours per side? DD has recently had problems sleeping (falling asleep, staying asleep) and I wonder if it is because she doesn't get enough hind milk to keep her satisfied. Would increasing the block help this?

DH likes to give DD a bottle occasionally. I pump when he does this, but never get enough for a bottle. Is there another time that I could pump safely without increasing suppy?

Thanks in advance for the help!

Default Re: block feeding questions

Hi, I was wondering this too. (I just wrote a really long post about our issues with OALD). I usually only did one breast per feeding before, so to block feed, I am trying to do 2 feedings in a row with the same breast, so ds gets more hindmilk. I started this 3 days ago...my breasts are a lot softer now, but, like you, my son still seems to struggle with OALD. I think I read somewhere that you can have OALD without oversupply...I guess you would just have to use the other suggestions for OALD then (side-lying or leaning back, "V" or scissor hold - there's a FAQ about this). But I would also like to hear from the other mamas if they had this.

Sorry I don't have any experience with pumping.

Jenny

I too am dealing with this right now. Did you ever come to any resolution?!?!
    I was just getting ready to post about this - I wonder what the issue is here. I am afraid too that my supply has gone down?! DS struggles with let down on the right side on the second time around the "block"...
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

Hi! Yes it is possible to HAVE OALD and not be engorged or leaking. I had it that way. I have heard that some women who feel their letdown let it go into a towel before they give their breast to the baby. I never could really feel my let down. I was aware it was overactive becasue my son was constantly choking and gagging. But my doctor said he was reacting normally and would most probably resolve the situation on his own and he did. Meaning intitially he would pull off coughing and sputtering. Then at about 1month or 6weeks he would suck a few times and then pull off on his own, then get back on for a few more sucks than do it again and again.....he was ANTICIPATING a strong let down and moving as so not to choke! ANd then at around 8weeks it was pointed out to me by an LC that he was a "clicker" which generally they consider to be a bad latch issue but due to the fact that at that time he was gaining about 14oz a week and that she tried to relatch him "correctly" like 8x in one sitting, she determined that he was controlling my milk flow using his tougue to block flow from my nipple! So if your someone w/a strong let down and it's frusterating your baby, you canpump a little to take the edge off, or use a towel.....or let your baby work it out! I've read several post here about babies pulling off and reattaching....I believe that's a sign that their coping!

As far as wanting to pump and not create extra supply problems, always the morning. There's always plenty there in the morning. I've always found personally if I Pump before the baby wakes up I can yield the most in the least amount of time. I can get it done in under ten minutes.(I'm just emptying the buildup) but that's not enough time to actually simulate a feeding so if I chose not to do it everyday...there's no real engorgement issue. HTH!

DJ's mom ~ I am so glad you posted to this! Your situation sounds just like mine, as far as the clicking goes... my LO has always clicked and I had read that it could be in response to my OALD but I never figured out how...his weight gain has never been an issue so we knew it wasn't a latch issue. Anyhow -thanks again for posting - you have eased my mind and I'll stop worry about the clicking now!( Even though I haven't battled the engorgement & leaking issue fully )for us the side lying works great for the OALD...
    anyhow - Thanks again!
    eme
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

Your welcome

My DD is also a "clicker" and is gaining weight and doing wonderful. It is so nice to hear that others have the same experiences and that we aren't alone!! Thanks!