Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: devestated..i dont know what else to do..

Default devestated..i dont know what else to do..

ok so my son is 9 weeks..we EBF at the hospital (i had a c section) and did fine at home..well when he was almost 2 weeks i got mastitis bad and had to be on an antibiotic and my supply went kapoots..when i came home fom the hospital i could pump 2 oz and after that barely one and thats from both breast...and i was starving my son...so i supplemented...and he still nursed but obviously not as much...well since then my supply has went down more and more..i dont know what else to do...i have tried the nurse him all day thing and try to take a vacation in bed with him it dosent work..i just dont make enough milk..

i have tried fenugreek ,water, oatmeal..

i am thinking about domperidone..what do you think...my dream is to EBF but i feel like its non obtainable now..i have messed up and given to many bottles...

Default Re: devestated..i dont know what else to do..

Here is a link about weaning baby from supplementations.

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/decrease-formula.html

You can still do this mamma! Have you considered speaking with your local LLL leader or a board certified lactation consultant?

I'm Laura, mamma of 2

5-27-06

8-30-08

We love and

We have been nursing for over 2 years now!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mammaof2 View Post
    Here is a link about weaning baby from supplementations.

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/decrease-formula.html

You can still do this mamma! Have you considered speaking with your local LLL leader or a board certified lactation consultant?
    i have been to the clinic 2x s but its hard b/c its 45 min away

I see. Well maybe there is something in the link that can help you.

The best thing to do to let your body to know to make more milk is to let your lo nurse as frequently as they want to. Also, maybe you could try pumping after every time that your lo nurses. This will help to let your body know to make more milk also.

I'm Laura, mamma of 2

5-27-06

8-30-08

We love and

There is a relactation board here too. Maybe some of the ladies can be a better help than I can.

I'm Laura, mamma of 2

5-27-06

8-30-08

We love and

What signs of not having enough milk are you experiencing?

I agree with pp it is not too late.
    Proud mom of 2 boys, both weaned gradually and with love.

Find a local LLL leader

For each and every one of us, the person from whom we can learn the most is our own baby: listen to him. - Mary White, LLL co-founder

The best-kept secret in child psychology is that children who were never spanked are among the best behaved."
    Murray Straus, Ph.D.

Big , Mama. Don't panic. Your dream breastfeeding relationship is still totally obtainable. If moms who adopt can nurse successfully, you can too! You already have milk, so you're way ahead of the game!

The best thing you can do is to see a lactation consultant. I know it's far away but trust me: nothing helps more than hands-on help. When you see the LC, make sure you weigh your baby before and after nursing to determine how much he's taking in, and consider renting a professional scale and hospital-grade pump. A good pump can really help increase your supply, and a scale can help you determine whether or not you really need to supplement.

Until you get to see the LC, there are some things you can do:
    - Nurse as often as possible. You do not need to wait for your breasts to "fill up," as milk is always being made.
    - Always offer the breast before the bottle.
    - Pump after nursing to increase supply, using a good quality pump. When I had supply issues, I pumped each side for 15 minutes every 2 hours during the day and every 3 at night, using a hospital-grade pump.
    - Consider supplementing with a supplemental nursing system (SNS). With a SNS, you reduce the risk of nipple confusion (when baby comes to prefer bottle over mom), and your baby stimulates your milk supply even as he feeds from the SNS tube.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

unless you smell like maple syrup you're not taking enough fenugreek. may be up your dose?

Amy married to my bestfriend since 10/30/04

Proud SAHM to DS born 2/17/07 and DD born 9/11/08 Both weaned together 11/2011
    Currently milk, peach, peanut and tree nut free. DD has outgrown her wheat, cheese, egg, garlic, and citrus allergies

HI, we have so been down this road. My lo was a very sleepy baby when first born and that as well as low hormone levels ment that I failed to lactate naturally. I started pumping at 7days and supplimenting with both ebm and formula through a sns. This was only given once he had stopped feeding actively after breast compression. I then continued to pump at least 3x per day until we got to around 5wks and he was taking only about 20mls (less than 1oz) through the sns and he was still gaining weight, I then went cold turkey as it was more hassle than it was worth, cleaning the sns, setting it up and pumping etc. He did only gain small for the next week or so but now at 12wks is fully bf. I am taking dom peridone, blessed thistle, nursing tea and eating oatmeal (porridge) every day for breakfast and making sure that I eat plenty of protein. I am slowly weaning from the dom peridone, then I will look at weaning from the blessed thistle. Anyway I jsut wanted to share my story with you and say its not impossible to continue!!! And keep in your mind that any bm is better than no bm. My husband thinks I am joking that I am going to feed this boy til he is 5 but we will see!!!!