Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: premee breastfeeding problems

Unhappy premee breastfeeding problems

I need much help.. my baby was born a month early, with no big problems "thank god" but from being in intensive care, they were bottle feeding her. So now, I am trying to ween her off the bottle, to the breast but she doesn't want anything to do with it. What can I do??
    Also, I have a lump in my right breast next to my nipple "hopefully a clogged duct" can I use a heating pad as a warm compress?

Default Re: premee breastfeeding problems

Welcome mama! There is a whole "Breastfeeding your Premature Baby" forum here...

You will have to just keep working on getting the baby to breast. Sometimes a preemie can take until around their due date to understand how to latch. Just keep trying. I put our LO to breast every time we fed, then had to finish with a bottle. Eventually he got it.

In the meantime, do you have an LC that you see? A LLL leader? Do you kangaroo her?

ETA: Here is some good info too...http://www.kellymom.com/bf/preemie/index.html
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    Born at 32 weeks-3lbs/10oz
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

I dont have an LC or an LLL leader. and I tried every position Ive ever herd of. I get very nervous talking to people.

Where are you at mama? You can always find an LC that will come to your house, or call a LLL leader and speak to her over the phone. Maybe someone will have some advice you haven't heard yet.

Do you mean nursing positions? The football hold worked the best for us when he was really little and still learning.

Also, the skin to skin contact of kangarooing can help a lot. The baby is next to you, near your breast, can hear your heart beating...it all helps to make baby stronger and more ready and able to learn all these new things.

Don;t worry about getting your baby off the bottle as soon as you can. Sometimes babies born early have just a little bit of a learning curve. You guys will get there. I have no doubt.

Oh, and I forgot about the plug. Check out this info here.

Good luck mama!
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    Born at 32 weeks-3lbs/10oz
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

My little guy was born six weeks early on October 30th and we are still working on getting to the breast completely. We do what previous poster said, on the breast first then to the bottle. Most of the time preemies are not able to suck hard enough to get all the milk out of the breast to be satisifed till they are a little older because their muscles are still so weak so don't get too discouraged just yet. I agree with pp as well, try finding an LC or a LLL leader. Most are willing to do a house call if you really need them to. And with having a preemie I think that would be a good idea.

I don't usually recomend this option but it's always there if you need it...have you heard of the Medela SNS feeder? I know some moms who have had great success with it and some who havent so it all depends on the baby.

Good luck mama and hang in there!